Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Muntjac-Calling Theory Blown.

Another Muntjac-Calling Theory Blown.

One of my previously held theories for successful Muntjac calling was that it needs a decent strength of wind so that the trees etc. movement and noise will help to disguise my attempts at deception. However this morning I was out at first light to a very soggy fenland wood. After a good two hours of seeing no deer, I thought that I would try calling. So I positioned myself looking into dense cover at about sixty yards distance with less dense cover closer to me. There was not a breath of breeze.
    After the second set of calls, a Muntjac buck appeared from the dense cover into the less dense bit, clearly coming to investigate the call. I was able to get a shot in and bagged him. I had my Labrador bitch 'Ruby' with me and we had to walk around a water filled ditch for several hundred yards to recover the carcass. I am very pleased to say that Ruby found him for me in no time at all and saved me much searching.
    So a good result, but this particular Muntjac (15.5 kgs whole, with a full set of teeth) was called in still-air conditions. I think that was my last theory on calling Muntjac, so still none the wiser.

Interested to know the technique for calling. Is the call used in the same pattern as for roe?

You need to consider what you are actually replicating. Individual 'Pheeps' with a Buttolo caller or similar replicate a Muntjac fawn calling to its mother. This often results in a Muntjac Doe literally crashing in to protect what she perceives as her newborn fawn which she will have left whilst she feeds nearby. Shooting Does which arrive in such a manner is clearly bad practice as you will undoubtedly be orphaning a young fawn nearby! So why are Bucks attracted to the call? As well as being slightly protective and inquisitive, he will know that a Doe which has recently given birth will be ready to be covered again and there is a good chance of some action! There is no other science to it as far as I can see. I've had successes and failures in pretty much all conditions. Muntjac don't read the theory books as far as I can see. Hope this helps.
    MS

I recorded some muntjac making noises to each other the other night on the trail cam, was very interesting as quite different from the noise than that ive been taught to imitate on the Buttolo caller
    Last edited by Evillemon; 15-10-2013 at 19:12.

I know nothing about munties, but it is possible to call in a roe doe using kid's terror call and most of the time any doe could come to the call no matter if she is a leading or young/barren doe. Would it not be similar with muntjac?

Quote Originally Posted by Evillemon View Post
    I recorded some muntjac making noises to each other the other night on the trail cam, was very interesting as quite a different noise than that ive been taught to imitate on the Buttolo caller
    Be interesting to hear that mate, could you upload it somehow?
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by glogin View Post
    I know nothing about munties, but it is possible to call in a roe doe using kid's terror call and most of the time any doe could come to the call no matter if she is a leading or young/barren doe. Would it not be similar with muntjac?
    Muntjac are very protective of their young! Last year I heard a fawn screaming in terror in some brambles. Seconds after a fox tore out of the bushes closely followed by a Muntjac Doe which stopped as she cleared the cover. However, a Muntjac buck continued the chase and was clearly trying to slash at the back legs of the fox! Amazing sight. Never saw the fawn, but assume it escaped. Clear evidence though that foxes will take a young deer given half a chance.
    MS

I recorded some muntjac making noises to each other the other night on the trail cam, was very interesting as quite a different noise than that ive been taught to imitate on the Buttolo caller
    would love to hear what youve got

I have done quite a lot of Muntjac calling. I have held a day-old fawn in my hands whilst she was calling for her mother who had just been shot (my pal bottle reared her then released her). I have experienced the Does crashing in and barking furiously etc. I have had a whole gang of them barking furiously at me from cover. I have called and been totally ignored. I have seen one Buck and four Does respond. The Bucks usually come in later than the Does, but not always.
    I have seen a fox being well and truly seen off by Muntjac and I have seen a spaniel owned by a dog walker, well and truly ripped up by a Muntjac buck.
    The more I experience, the more curious I am. What are we saying to them ? Do weather conditions have any effect etc. etc. MS makes some valid points and has clearly much experience of these creatures. However I think that we probably know little of what we are actually doing when we try to call them in. Just my view, based on much practical experience.

I too would really appreciate hearing your recordings if possible.