Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I make him bark

How do I make him bark

Hi

I have a retriever that i am training to track and he is coming on great but he wont bark when he finds the beast ??? . how do i get him to bark cos the wife would kill me if i loose her boy.

thanks
    Landy308

Have you taught him to bark on command yet? If not that is your starting point. Whenever he barks repeatedly say 'Speak' until he associates the word 'speak' with barking and does it on command (My first dog always barked when the door bell rang so that was an easily repeatable teaching aid). Now each time he finds a deer tell him to speak and praise him for barking. Be over the top with the praise until he barks on finding a deer without being told to.
    Hope that helps.
    Baguio

Hi

Thanks for the tip, will try that although he doesn't bark very often but what you say sounds logical and could help.

thanks
    ​Landy308

Quote Originally Posted by Landy308 View Post
    Hi

I have a retriever that i am training to track and he is coming on great but he wont bark when he finds the beast ??? . how do i get him to bark cos the wife would kill me if i loose her boy.

thanks
    Landy308
    You will probaly find that he prefers to come back to you and then lead you back to the deer.As he is a retreiver he wants to retreive the deer, when he cannot do this he returns to you.If you realy want him to bark tease him with a set of antlers.

Gary

What type of retriever? I know labradors through breeding are meant not to bark, that is why they sell collars to aid this.

There is compulsion or reward training. Compulsion is said to be a better method but it may not appeal to everybody.

Basicly my you tie the dog up and tease it with a thin switch or a deer head with antlers whilst commanding speak. As soon as the dog makes a noise stop praise the dog. Continue until the sight of the head sends the dog into one!

Reward is just that. Tease the dog with its food whilst commanding to speak, as soon as it makes a noise give it some food. Continue until the dog barks on command.

Both methods can lead to a noisy dog.

I can make most dogs howl.
    I just howl and they join in.
    I guess I would howl at a deer carcass, if he joins in then praise him.

If it was me I would rather train the dog to find/kill the deer then come and get me and take me to the deer. In thick cover or a windy day you may find it hard to hear the barking. If you want it to bark on command tie it between two trees and annoy it with a switch.

​Al

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger22 View Post
    If it was me I would rather train the dog to find/kill the deer then come and get me and take me to the deer. In thick cover or a windy day you may find it hard to hear the barking. If you want it to bark on command tie it between two trees and annoy it with a switch.

​Al
    I read the piece about tying up and annoying with a switch in Guy Wallace's book. However I think he recommended it only for dogs of the 'hooligan variety'.
    My young Labrador bitch will bark a lot, when at home in the garden if someone comes to the gate or has the nerve to use the footpath at the side of our home. She is silent when we are out with the rifle. Not a sound does she make even when yesterday she had a young CWD feeding less than 20 feet from her and blissfully unaware of our presence. She kept looking at me as if to say 'its there can't you see it'! but no sound.
    When she found her Muntjac yesterday I did my best to excite her with exuberant praise and at one point she gave a couple of feeble 'woofs', but that was all. I don't intend to do anything other than encourage her. If I tried the switch thing then I think she would probably 'never speak to me again', never mind a deer carcass. I'm certainly not going to risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    I read the piece about tying up and annoying with a switch in Guy Wallace's book. However I think he recommended it only for dogs of the 'hooligan variety'.
    My young Labrador bitch will bark a lot, when at home in the garden if someone comes to the gate or has the nerve to use the footpath at the side of our home. She is silent when we are out with the rifle. Not a sound does she make even when yesterday she had a young CWD feeding less than 20 feet from her and blissfully unaware of our presence. She kept looking at me as if to say 'its there can't you see it'! but no sound.
    When she found her Muntjac yesterday I did my best to excite her with exuberant praise and at one point she gave a couple of feeble 'woofs', but that was all. I don't intend to do anything other than encourage her. If I tried the switch thing then I think she would probably 'never speak to me again', never mind a deer carcass. I'm certainly not going to risk it.
    Like I said I want my dogs to find the deer then come and get me, I have no interest in a barking dog. The switch method is one a lot of people use, not for me either

​Al