Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with OAL and O-Give for .308 Remmy 700

Help with OAL and O-Give for .308 Remmy 700

I got a Hornady OAL gauge and bullet comparator so I can finally find out my OAL and seating depth for my .308 Remmy 700 SPS Stainless

The tool gave me an OAL of 2.342", which would give me an ideal seating depth of 2.322" to 2.302" for a 20 to 40 thou jump to lands. This is using 150gn SBT Sierra GameKing Heads (#2125)

When looking at this on my modified case etc it doesn't seat the round into the case that deep, certainly not enough for my liking. I read that you should seat a bullet at least the same as it's diameter.

My current loads have been produced to the max COAL given in my Sierra reloading data (base to tip), but measuring these using the bullet comparator shows them at 2.195" base to O-Give. This is currently giving me a 147 thou jump to lands, I expected this to be big.

Has anyone else got a Remmy 700 in .308, what seating depth / length to O-give do you use? If 20-40 thou jump to lands is ideal why isn't this possible with my rifle and bullet combination?

Thanks,

Tim

No I have not got a Remington 700 but that is beside the point here. The problem seems to be the ogive and it's shape which varies between bullet designs and makes.

In my own handloading experience i have never found the best precision on target with bullets seated out close to the leade. On several of the rifles i own it's not possible to get anywhere close to theleade with some bullets and retain the bullet into the case neck yet on of these rifles is about the most consistently precise in grouping with the 130 Grain Hornady SP in .308". The rifle is chambered in 30-30 and throated for the 170 Grain Winchester bullet.

Another is a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser which is throated for the 160 Grain RN bullet and it shoots the 120 Grain Speers rather well.

My advice is don't get too hung up on this minimal jump and try it with the bullet seated wih it's base level with the should/neck juncture and they try different loads with the bullet seated out a fraction more until your happy with the grouping achieved.

+1 to BH.

I worry less about bullet jump than I do about consistent case prep and my focus is on loading as close to identically as I can achieve.

Use of the Lee Factory crimp die twice with a 1/4 turn between zaps has done more for repeatability than anything I ever tried with ogive-land distance.

All I can say is that it works for me.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

All 3 of my rifles have the bullet seated >200 thou - all 3 will shoot .3" It has been written that rifles can have at least three 'sweet spots'. I prefer to seat my bullets deep enough to minimalize the amount of air in the case. If there was only one sweet spot and that happened to be within 40 thou of the lands as many reloaders think, I am sure the rifle manufacturers would have (as a start) made their magazines longer.

Quote Originally Posted by charadam View Post
    +1 to BH.

I worry less about bullet jump than I do about consistent case prep and my focus is on loading as close to identically as I can achieve.

Use of the Lee Factory crimp die twice with a 1/4 turn between zaps has done more for repeatability than anything I ever tried with ogive-land distance.

All I can say is that it works for me.
    Yes, yes, and double damn yes. I agree 100%.~Muir

I dont know where the lands are on half my rifles!!

I work up starting loads with consistent seating depth of over the calibre dimension
    Find the charge that suits the best and then if it needs it increase or decrease seating depth to fine tune.

it amuses me that people use the lands and reference them to within 0.005" but the starting edges of the lands on a well used rifle will at best be a rounded, cracked and irregular edge with all the lands having slightly different start points.

your "0.020" off the lands" at day one will not be the same dimension after 1000 rounds!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I dont know where the lands are on half my rifles!!

I work up starting loads with consistent seating depth of over the calibre dimension
    Find the charge that suits the best and then if it needs it increase or decrease seating depth to fine tune.

it amuses me that people use the lands and reference them to within 0.005" but the starting edges of the lands on a well used rifle will at best be a rounded, cracked and irregular edge with all the lands having slightly different start points.

your "0.020" off the lands" at day one will not be the same dimension after 1000 rounds!
    Ahhhh have to say this but I doubt many "stalkers" will see 1,000 rounds through their barrels. A lot of modern cartridges will burn the throat well before this 1,000 round count as well.

I've got a Remy 700 and use 150gr Gamekings

load data
    2.215 to o-give
    Powder vit n140 44.5gr
    brass lapua
    primer cci

Super accurate load in my rifle and the deer don't argue.

Hope that's what your looking for

Jonny

Quote Originally Posted by Double0gorgeous View Post
    I've got a Remy 700 and use 150gr Gamekings

load data
    2.215 to o-give
    Powder vit n140 44.5gr
    brass lapua
    primer cci

Super accurate load in my rifle and the deer don't argue.

Hope that's what your looking for

Jonny
    ​Brilliant thanks. I've worked my load to 44.5 - 45gn of Viht N140 so that's a nice check too