Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: squirrel guns

squirrel guns

Following on from the rifle for scottosh reds thread, which is your favourite rifle for squirrel.Mine are as follows
    ruger aw 77/22 M8 6x42 silenced
    mossberg M42 bushnell 4x16x40
    GSG MP 5 silenced with e o tec

Air rifle and a semi .410 Shotty. Best fun to be had.

.177 PCP and Bisley Magnums
    would love to try the .17M2 on them but don't see enough of them in areas i could use that

a dozen Fenn traps

This old un did rather well using Winchester subs:-

​BSA Super Sport Five with 1978 ASI 3x32 scope. Baited stump provided the quarry.

Squirrel shooting on this patch provided brownie points as the owner and neighbour suffered squirrel problems around the houses and even in the roof. A retired keeper used to bring his poles and poke out the dreys once a year as well.

​For in tree use the Feinwerkbau Sport Model 127 in .22 or a shotgun was used.

Its all in the name:

Cooper Arms "Jackson Squirrel Rifle" (JSR):

Cheers

K
    Last edited by Klenchblaize; 16-10-2013 at 10:43.

Regular Poster
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    For drey shooting a nice light, carry all day, 12g. The Turkish made Weatherby SA-08 Waterfowler 3.0 fits the bill perfectly, weighing in at 6lb 12oz.

General walk and shoot, can't really beat an o/u Hushpower ; you do shoot more with a Hushpower.

Air rifle still has the edge for the fun factor. FWB Sport 127 .22 FAC ... thwack !

Attachment 33589

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Its all in the name:

Cheers

K

I live right down the road (well, a couple of hundred miles) from Cooper. One of their biggest dealers is in the City. Nice rifles. Does that target say anywhere the distance it was shot at? THere is a big cluck with Coopers at the dealers because the CF rifles have spectacular groups assigned to each rifle but they were only shot at 50M. Your rifle is older. I was wondering if it was marked with a range distance.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I live right down the road (well, a couple of hundred miles) from Cooper. One of their biggest dealers is in the City. Nice rifles. Does that target say anywhere the distance it was shot at? THere is a big cluck with Coopers at the dealers because the CF rifles have spectacular groups assigned to each rifle but they were only shot at 50M. Your rifle is older. I was wondering if it was marked with a range distance.~Muir
    50M. I've also replicated the above group and since fitting a moderator using the same match ammo. Came close too with Lapua sub-sonic hunting ammo.

As for Cooper Arms as an Organization I'm not at all impressed and have the damming e-mail correspondence to back my assertion.

The 22LR action used in the JSR has one very annoying failing in the context of user-friendly in-the-field/woods deployment: There is no mechanism to ensure the bolt lever stays closed and in consequence it will often ‘lift’ just enough when moving through cover to ensure there is just a loud click when squeezing the trigger in anger. Very FRUSTRATING and I should not have to use an “elastic band and nail” to keep it in place!!

So, another good reason to build a custom rifle on a nice old Brno action as they have this problem covered with the ball bearing that sits in a corresponding divit.

Cheers

K

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Its all in the name:

Cheers

K

.22lr pointed at the tree tops....? Seriously????
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink