Thread: Hopping / Skipping

Hopping / Skipping

My 15 month old cocker bitch has started hopping / missing a step with her rear right leg. It's not ever when she is at walking pace or at full tilt but at a lazy trot the leg just seems to miss a beat and she doesn't seem over bothered about it.

However, if I lay her on her back she will let you pull / push / part the pads of the other three feet but pulls back slightly when I try and do the same on the "suspect" foot. I've checked for cuts, thorns, grass seeds (bloody things) etc and can't find anything different.

Trip to the vet maybe - or any suggestions please?

Many thanks.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

How long has it gone on for?

It might be muscular, a slight pull or tear.

Id say just rest her for a few days if you can. My puo has something similar I rested her for about three to four days and it cleared up.

A few days without a dog is better than no dog.

Hope she mends soon.

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Eyefor View Post
    My 15 month old cocker bitch has started hopping / missing a step with her rear right leg. It's not ever when she is at walking pace or at full tilt but at a lazy trot the leg just seems to miss a beat and she doesn't seem over bothered about it.

However, if I lay her on her back she will let you pull / push / part the pads of the other three feet but pulls back slightly when I try and do the same on the "suspect" foot. I've checked for cuts, thorns, grass seeds (bloody things) etc and can't find anything different.

Trip to the vet maybe - or any suggestions please?

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pezz69 View Post
    How long has it gone on for?

It might be muscular, a slight pull or tear.

Id say just rest her for a few days if you can. My puo has something similar I rested her for about three to four days and it cleared up.

A few days without a dog is better than no dog.

Hope she mends soon.

Nathan
    Thanks for the reply.

It has been going on for a couple of weeks - but rest isn't an option with this cocker. Total nutter!

I will calm her down with some piriton (used for nettle stings) and keep her as quiet as possible. Hopefully that will help and I will update later.

​Thanks. Iain
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

I hope she mends soon.

Luckly for me i have a clumber so rest is very much an option! As i type this she is currently flat out and snoring.

Let me know how she gets on, i hope its nothing to serious and just something minor.

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Eyefor View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

It has been going on for a couple of weeks - but rest isn't an option with this cocker. Total nutter!

I will calm her down with some piriton (used for nettle stings) and keep her as quiet as possible. Hopefully that will help and I will update later.

​Thanks. Iain

I have known a lot of terriers run with three legs apparently resting one back leg then carrying the other later.

but having kept welsh springers for more than 25years cannot say I have ever seen it in spanials my guess is a slight muscle strain at 15 months adolensence vigor could be the cause I would suggest reducing the exercise for a week or two !! a problem with a mad spanial I know.

Quote Originally Posted by roedeerred View Post
    I have known a lot of terriers run with three legs apparently resting one back leg then carrying the other later.

but having kept welsh springers for more than 25years cannot say I have ever seen it in spanials my guess is a slight muscle strain at 15 months adolensence vigor could be the cause I would suggest reducing the exercise for a week or two !! a problem with a mad spanial I know.
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to try and reduce the excercise to see what that does but you can't imagine what such a sad little face she pulled when I didn't let her off the lead this morning.

When we got home she went straight into her cage, turned her back on me and didn't come out to eat her food until I had left the room.

She is now sitting in my office giving me the death stare. The term "moody bitch" describes her well.

Bas**** that I am !!!

​Don't you love them!!!