hind stalking on arran

paul o'

Hi fellers
look i am of two minds on the Arran hind stalking weeks under the BASC scheme, how and what do i need to get before i can go! how much etc any info please would be a great help, i am a BASC member but would like to get input from folks who have been ,
ATB
PAUL

Hey Paul,

It can be hard ground to walk for a fit bloke & extracting carcasses can be a thing to forget.

Have a chat with the Finnbear on here - he has similar considerations to yours and has been up a few times now.

Rgds

Ian

Last edited:
do a search on here, few threads on this

whatever you take make sure it is waterproof
wherever you stay make sure it has good drying facilities!!

:rofl:

do a search on here, few threads on this

whatever you take make sure it is waterproof
wherever you stay make sure it has good drying facilities!!

thanks feller :thumb:

(It can be hard ground to walk for a fit bloke & extracting carcasses can be a thing to forget.
Have a chat with the Finnbear on here - he has similar considerations to yours and has been up a few times now.

Rgds

Ian
cheers Ian
atb
paul

Hi Paul I've been going to Arran for a good few years on the BASC scheme and I would consider it to be great value for money. The stalking as others have said is hard work but you can go at your own pace as you are your own guide. You have to have level one and be registered for two. The hind stalking costs £250 for the week no shot fee's or hidden costs and on the stags no trophy fee's which is good as I had a cracking week there this year with a lovely 14 and 15 pointer. On the first day you go to a safety meeting to go over what they expect from you and safety procedures and kit to take with you. Then you go to the range where you have to put three shots into a 4" zero target. Then its off to see Bob the FC deer manager who distributes the beats out he will give you a map of your beat and point you in the right direction a good time to ask any questions. Then you can go off to explore your beat. I would say on your first trip to Arran its more of a reconnaissance trip than a stalking holiday as there is a lot of ground to cover but that's not to say you wont find deer it gets easier the more you go as they generally try to give you the same beat as you have had in previous years. So it would probably make more sense to go on a hind week for your first trip to recon as its a lot cheaper for the stalking and accommodation on the Island during the winter months. I've personally never come away from the scheme with out shooting at least one beast. Last year I had five hinds and missed one. The extraction can be very difficult but you there is no need to worry as Bob and mike are on hand with a truck full of equipment to get you out of most situations and its all part of it as far as I'm concerned I enjoy it and have learnt a lot from joining in. The stalking is for all ability's should you be a beginner or a competent stalker. There are not deer hiding around every tree and you have to work for them but there are plenty there to keep every one happy. last year on the hinds I must have counted about thirty deer through out the week. Wet weather gear is a must and a good drying system is essential I actually take a small fan heater with me as not all the cottages we have stayed in have a drying room so we make one our self's. I think I've covered every thing but if there is any thing you want to know pm me that goes to any one going to Arran for the first time I have a list of good cottages to stay at very reasonably priced. Here are a few pic's to wet your appetite. ​

Attachments

• arran open hill 8.bmp
    896.3 KB · Views: 152
  • Isle Arran Brodick beat 2013 003.jpg
    Isle Arran Brodick beat 2013 003.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 153
  • Isle Arran Brodick beat 2013 013.jpg
    Isle Arran Brodick beat 2013 013.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 141
HMMMM very nice its a pitty you can't go with a dsc2 and do the dsc1 as part of the week but then again prob BASC could't cope with the demand lol
thanks feller more thinking to do :lol:

HMMMM very nice its a pitty you can't go with a dsc2 and do the dsc1 as part of the week but then again prob BASC could't cope with the demand lol
thanks feller more thinking to do :lol:

Gives you something to think about mate. If you need any more info give us a shout mate.

Paul if I didn't book a trip back to SA early next year, I would be up there like a Rat up a drain pipe!!! I enjoyed my self there on the stag week and saw plenty of Hinds on our beat. As far as Crouch valley goes, A big thank you for giving me heaps of info interms of what to take and what to expect before I set off on the journey.I'll be back there next year to take the two Stags we saw but never managed to get a shot. :stag:

As others have said it's great, the only additional advice is its best to go with a friend who you are used to slaking with, as if you go on your own it's a lottery who you might get paired up wit, and your companion's company is an important part of the week.

As others have said it's great, the only additional advice is its best to go with a friend who you are used to slaking with, as if you go on your own it's a lottery who you might get paired up wit, and your companion's company is an important part of the week.

Not trying to queer the Arran pitch at all, but this is a really important tip, Mike & I witnessed a few ruined weeks for the odd decent type, just by falling in with a n*bhead.

thanks feller's no way round the dsc- one thing then! would love to do it as part of dsc1, as its better to do hands on than from books !! at my age :zzz: class roommmmmmmmmmmsssssssssssszzzzz! lol .

i booked without DSC and did the exam only course after booking, just confirmed DSC number before the stalking week started

That way you only spend an hour on the range (or in my case 20 mins!, get it done first and leave to go to my son's birthday!)
two classroom visits again of around an hour if I remember

well if as they say it is only DSC2 "registration" that is required that is a cheque that needs to be written rather than anything else
I went in 2008-9 I think

​exam only DSC1 is still an option though

It sounds like you best get studying Paul. Get your self level one registered for two and up to Arran.

SA I will see you up there on the stags next year I will see if the accommodation next to ours is free when I book and let you know It will make the BBQ easier LOL there was enough meat for all the stalkers let alone us four.

yes feller looks like i need to do the deed and drag my back side into school again :scared: ps remember to put that disk back in your motor

It sounds like you best get studying Paul. Get your self level one registered for two and up to Arran.

SA I will see you up there on the stags next year I will see if the accommodation next to ours is free when I book and let you know It will make the BBQ easier LOL there was enough meat for all the stalkers let alone us four.
That will be spot on if you can. You don't need to ask me twice if I want to have a BBQ come rain or snow, us boys from SA can brave any weather for a steak of the Braai !!! Can't wait!! :thumb:

Hi,
im on the hind week in Arran next week . It's my first time in Arran , at this time of year will the midges be a problem and how bad are the ticks, I'm taking a smidge spray with me will I need a face net as well?.

Back