Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6mm rem

6mm rem

How widely available is 6mm rem ammunition?

Im considering a rifle for roe and foxes mainly (with some fallow) as an alternative to a .243 but not sure how easily i will be able to get rounds!

Will they run 100gr bullets for scotland?

Dan

Availability - a few phones calls to local dealers or a quick google will answer that one for you. It's going to be less available than 243, and costs more, that's for sure. But if that's what you fancy, why not?

An off the shelf factory rifle with a 1:10" twist barrel will stabilise 100g bullets, provided the bullets in question are not overly long. That is, a standard soft point bullet will be fine (e.g. the Hornady 100g SP #2450). However, if you try shooting overly long bullets such as the Sierra 95g HPBT Match #1537 (which isn't intended for game anyway) then you will need a 1:9" twist barrel. Helpfully, it says as much on the box. :-)

-JMS

Norman Clark of Rugby should be able to help. That's where i got my new RP brass from. Sadly the 6mm Rem is not very common here.

As mentioned it's the rate of twist that matters mostly and the 6mm Rem should be 1 in 10 twist. It was the earlier .244 Remington that had the 1 in 12 twist as it was meant for 85 grain bullets.

Now I don't know why but the 6mm Remington cartridge just looks so much better and IMHO more "right" than the droopy shoulder of the .243 Winchester.

Edgar Bros import the Remington brand including ammunition but sadly seem to thinks made of Gold what with the prices they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Norman Clark of Rugby should be able to help. That's where i got my new RP brass from. Sadly the 6mm Rem is not very common here.

As mentioned it's the rate of twist that matters mostly and the 6mm Rem should be 1 in 10 twist. It was the earlier .244 Remington that had the 1 in 12 twist as it was meant for 85 grain bullets.

Now I don't know why but the 6mm Remington cartridge just looks so much better and IMHO more "right" than the droopy shoulder of the .243 Winchester.

Edgar Bros import the Remington brand including ammunition but sadly seem to thinks made of Gold what with the prices they want.
    You may or may not be pleased to know that Edgars will no longer be the Remington importer. This has gone to a company called Sports Marketing or SMK i believe.

Yorkie.

A newly formed company, 'Remington Outdoor UK', bought SMK in March this year. SMK was previously owned by Cybergun. Remington Outdoor UK will be the sole UK importer for the Remington brand plus other brands owned by Remington, i.e. Marlin, Barnes Bullets, Dakota Arms, and Bushmaster.

-JMS

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    a mate has one and he has found it hard at times to get brass, last time the 50 he got he waited 3 months for,

i shot it in and it shot very very well, best fox i took was at about 170 yards the one he has was a sleeper for some years and built by one of the best parker hale men in the country.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Hmmm I might have seen that rifle as a certain smith/RFD had a couple he built up on his stand. One used a 1200P (Presentation - engraved) action. The were priced keenly as well.

[QUOTE=Dan Newcombe;666803]How widely available is 6mm rem ammunition?

Im considering a rifle for roe and foxes mainly (with some fallow) as an alternative to a .243 but not sure how easily i will be able to get rounds!

Will they run 100gr bullets for scotland?

I have a very nice 6mm rem on the shelf . a Remington 700 vls . fully pillar bedded , screw cut complete with dies and ammo and moderator. Full load development was done for the rifle with two bullet weights, and it has all the relevant load sheets and drop charts there with it. As for brass I have 200 pieces of brand new Remington on the shelf. Feel free to give me a call on the workshop number 0845 521 2995 if we can be of any assistance. yours respectfully Mike Norris, Brock and Norris custom rifles

can .243 be fireformed into 6mm Rem?

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    can .243 be fireformed into 6mm Rem?
    6mm rem case is (according to the great wiki) is 56.7mm, whereas 243 is 51.6 case, so probably not. The 6mm rem was developed by necking down the 257 Roberts, which is not exactly common here either.

I use a rimmed 7x65r which is not common either, but I have about 100 cases and have a good load, so they should keep me going for a while - I don't feel disadvantaged by not being able to get ammo from lock, stock and bodget it in the deepest darkest parts of borcetshire.