Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: How effective are high seats ?

  1. #1

    How effective are high seats ?

    Been this week and bought a Summit Stalker High Seat from Sportsman Gun Centre. Will have it up in place on the weekend and should be sat up in it asap :-) Just wondering how effective they actually are ?

    I know from my game cam that deer frequent the spot I have picked, yet every time I go n sit out down there am failing to spot any :-(

  2. #2
    Regular Poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    Posts
    350
    I've recently taken four Muntjac does within 30m of a high seat and in the Summer had a roe buck standing on the paving slab beneath it ; placement, timing, patience. S


  3. #3
    SD Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Herefordshire, Hampshire or Essex
    Posts
    2,746
    At the risk of sounding crass, it's your technique more than the tools you use that determines how successful you are. If you sit very very still they will come incredibly close. The benefit of a high seat is that it lifts you above the deers common line of sight and smell. I have regularly had deer and other animals move directly underneath the high seat I've been in - but if you move too quickly, they'll see for sure - so your fieldcraft has to remain good. If your game cam tells you they're there, sit still and at some point fate will bring you and the right animal together. Best of luck!
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

  4. #4
    SD Regular willie_gunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    Posts
    7,000
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd90 View Post
    Been this week and bought a Summit Stalker High Seat from Sportsman Gun Centre. Will have it up in place on the weekend and should be sat up in it asap :-) Just wondering how effective they actually are ?

    I know from my game cam that deer frequent the spot I have picked, yet every time I go n sit out down there am failing to spot any :-(
    I find them as effective as "walk and stalk", but just my personal experience.

    That said, if you're only putting the seat up this weekend I would question whether the deer will be spooked by it. I always figure they look and think "what's wrong with this picture" when you first put up a high seat. I'd prefer to locate/re-locate a seat and then leave it a week or so for the deer to familiarise themselves to it.

    Of course that wouldn't explain why portable high seats can be effective

    willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

  5. #5
    Lots of things can affect mate. Does your route in disturb them? Does the seat face predominantly into wind - they can still wind you up in a seat! Is the seat skylined so that they can see you move? It is usually best to have a seat set back from a wood and not actually in it. Try and establish movement patterns with your trail cam and then be there at the right time. Good luck!
    MS

  6. #6
    Cheers for the help guys, I haven't had the seat up before, just gone down and tucked away. When down there the woods are quite thick so I couldn't feel any wind, but they could be smelling me before I see them. I can often hear movement out of sight when sat there but they don't come into the openings.

    When I'm not there they come out often in groups as I can see on my game camera.

    Will put the seat up and leave it for a while and hopefully get out and use it when the does come in.

    Any tips on stopping it getting nicked ?

  7. #7
    SD Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Herefordshire, Hampshire or Essex
    Posts
    2,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd90 View Post
    Any tips on stopping it getting nicked ?
    Good chain and padlock - and an 'RSPB birdwatching' sign. Make sure it is as blended into the background as you can.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

  8. #8
    SD Regular willie_gunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    Posts
    7,000
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Good chain and padlock - and an 'RSPB birdwatching' sign. Make sure it is as blended into the background as you can.
    Sound advice.

    Ours are secured to the tree using a ratchet strap, then a chain is passed round the trunk and then threaded to secure both the seat and the ladder. A "No Unauthorised Access" sign is then zip-tied to the rungs. Inspected regularly, at least one a year, and repaired as necessary. Moved about every two or three years, though some seem to have become embedded in the trees

    Ideally we give the galvanised seats a lick of green/brown Hammerite beforehand but that doesn't always happen.

    willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

  9. #9
    i mainly walk and stalk BUT when the ground is alive with pheasants
    i tend to use the high seats [roughly same success rate as when stalking]
    ​good luck

  10. #10
    Distinguished Member 223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nr Newport (shrops)
    Posts
    1,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    At the risk of sounding crass, it's your technique more than the tools you use that determines how successful you are. If you sit very very still they will come incredibly close. The benefit of a high seat is that it lifts you above the deers common line of sight and smell. I have regularly had deer and other animals move directly underneath the high seat I've been in - but if you move too quickly, they'll see for sure - so your fieldcraft has to remain good. If your game cam tells you they're there, sit still and at some point fate will bring you and the right animal together. Best of luck!
    +1 exactly what i was thinking

Similar Threads

  1. New High Seats
    By Von in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-01-2012, 16:23
  2. High Seats
    By sambo in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-01-2012, 11:24
  3. High seats
    By TeddyW86 in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-10-2009, 17:51
  4. high seats
    By widows son in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-12-2008, 15:42
  5. High Seats
    By cockerdog in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18-10-2008, 20:47

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •