Applying for SGC just after my FAC....

Toxster

Just starting clays, so will likely want to get a shotgun, just something cheap so I don't have to use the club guns.

Will I be looking at the full fee and tedious application process for an SGC or does it just get added to my FAC as a variation.....?

Last edited:
It will be full application mate unfortunately , it's always advisable to put both applications at once as its only a tenner more

Suspected that.... sigh....

Mind you the price of sporting guns...I may be better with club guns for a bit....

Thanks.

Depends how much you want to pay for your guns.

Don't be seduced by marketing and hype - you may not need a Blaser!

Or put in a variation for an FAC shotgun? You may save some time and possibly a few quid and you'll be accepted into the club like an inbred troublesome cousin when you arrive with a 7 shot semi auto in tactical black:D

Or put in a variation for an FAC shotgun? You may save some time and possibly a few quid and you'll be accepted into the club like an inbred troublesome cousin when you arrive with a 7 shot semi auto in tactical black:D

LOL. That's what I can't understand about the law. I could ask for a variation for the above but not for a double barrel....:cuckoo:

Yes, but you need "good reason to acquire" for a S1 shotgun, whereas once you have your SGC you can buy as many S2 guns as you have security for.

Just appling for my shotgun cert now not going fac route looking forward to clay and wood cock in season.

When buying shotguns, it's always good to remember that they are, in effect, all just metal tubes to fling little lead balls into the air. Whilst it's very nice to have a top end gun, you will undoubtedly find a shotgun at a modest price that will work just as well.

Semi-autos are good, SxS's are good, but both have drawbacks (no game shooting with a semi old chap and if you shoot clays, asbestos hands could be required). in general use, the over and under does it all. You may just want a gun for clays, but remember, clay shooting is new to you. What's to say you won't get an invitation to shoot pheasants at the clay ground or to have a duck flight? Best to get, as a first gun, something that will fit in anywhere.

Of course shotguns can be as addictive as rifles. After time, that SxS or the more expensive gun may well come into the reckoning. :)

You absolutely can shoot game with a semi.
Its just not cricket but you are allowed too.
Though wouldn't recomend one for a first gun.

A silver pigeon will do all you wish and will hold its value.

Semi-autos are good, SxS's are good, but both have drawbacks (no game shooting with a semi old chap and if you shoot clays, asbestos hands could be required). in general use, the over and under does it all. You may just want a gun for clays, but remember, clay shooting is new to you. What's to say you won't get an invitation to shoot pheasants at the clay ground or to have a duck flight? Best to get, as a first gun, something that will fit in anywhere.

Of course you can play cricket with a semi. Just as you can shoot game. :D

But you're right. A silver pigeon will do it all.

Back