Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FLD pressure to give up rifles you don't use

FLD pressure to give up rifles you don't use

I was pretty certain of my interpretation of the law and my own opinion on this but its been a few years since I had to think about it. The situation (might as well be hypothetical) is,

2 rimfires and 4 deer calibres up to .308. Some used regularly, some tinkered with and one sentimental value and a refurb project for the future.

Do the new guidelines shed any clarification on this? What counties try to 'review' specific rifle usage on a certificate? If you've had direct experience I would be interested. Equally if a member of the BASC team wanted to comment?

A member of our club has 17 firearms, some have not Been shot in yrs, hants don,t seem worried.

I believe you need to have good reason for each firearm
    ​cheers lister

My FEO (Kent) asked for a good reason to own when I first applied for each firearm.
    No idea if the number of guns I own were discussed by the FLD manager and her team pre my renewal interview but my cert was renewed with nothing being said to me.

The new guidelines will not change the fact that a 'good reason' has to be satisfied for each Section 1 weapon in your possession. Tinkering about as quote is not a 'good reason' and neither is having an unused gun to be refurbed in the future. I believe you are not complying with the HO Guidelines in respect of these weapons and you obviously reside in an area where the local FLD are also not complying with the requirements of office.

What about the "collector" condition?
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

You should join a local club and show usage at least on the range, to avoid potential problems, like PT says you need to have good reason and be able to prove it if required.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    I was pretty certain of my interpretation of the law and my own opinion on this but its been a few years since I had to think about it. The situation (might as well be hypothetical) is,

2 rimfires and 4 deer calibres up to .308. Some used regularly, some tinkered with and one sentimental value and a refurb project for the future.

Do the new guidelines shed any clarification on this? What counties try to 'review' specific rifle usage on a certificate? If you've had direct experience I would be interested. Equally if a member of the BASC team wanted to comment?

Quote Originally Posted by Patterdale Terrier View Post
    The new guidelines will not change the fact that a 'good reason' has to be satisfied for each Section 1 weapon in your possession. Tinkering about as quote is not a 'good reason' and neither is having an unused gun to be refurbed in the future. I believe you are not complying with the HO Guidelines in respect of these weapons and you obviously reside in an area where the local FLD are also not complying with the requirements of office.
    I'd suggest a quick read of 13.2 and 13.3 of the 2013 HO 'Guide on Firearms Licensing Law'.

It will immediately become clear that both 'tinkering about' and having an unused gun to be refurbished in future might indeed count as 'good reasons to possess': except, of course, in the area where Patterdale Terrier is Chief Constable - which from his profile appears to be Lancashire.

Quote Originally Posted by charadam View Post
    What about the "collector" condition?
    Section 7 has allowances for historic collections and also hereditary in some cases but it is not very straight forward and it doesn't guarantee you could use the firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by lister View Post
    I believe you need to have good reason for each firearm
    ​cheers lister
    The certificate holder wouldn't have them in the first place if this was not the case surely?