Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rutting fallow meat

Rutting fallow meat

I know there will be differing opinions on this but I'd like to hear them. Does Fallow buck meat taste any different during the rut?

Complicated one! The first one I shot in the rut when I started out stalking tasted awful, I could smell it while it cooked. However others who maybe don't eat it often enough thought it was lovely, I however thought it taste like urine! Anything that is shot this time of year has to go to the game dealer or friends, as I cannot have it in my freezer, especially when you compare it to the nice tastey prickets I have been stocking my freezer with early season.

THAT SAID.......I was on Scotland last week and shot a stag that was rutting, early on in his rut, and we had to break him on the hill. I was dubious about eating it, but it was delicious.

I shoot a good number of fallow every year but won't eat a rutting one any more!

Quote Originally Posted by stalker.308 View Post
    Complicated one! The first one I shot in the rut when I started out stalking tasted awful, I could smell it while it cooked. However others who maybe don't eat it often enough thought it was lovely, I however thought it taste like urine! Anything that is shot this time of year has to go to the game dealer or friends, as I cannot have it in my freezer, especially when you compare it to the nice tastey prickets I have been stocking my freezer with early season.

THAT SAID.......I was on Scotland last week and shot a stag that was rutting, early on in his rut, and we had to break him on the hill. I was dubious about eating it, but it was delicious.

I shoot a good number of fallow every year but won't eat a rutting one any more!
    I've often thought about this, IF venison tastes so bad at this time of year and with the fact that people are always complaining about the prices they get from game dealers surely it would to be better to put top end (pre-rut)venison into the food chain so more people who eat it actually like it??? and want to buy more of it?? instead of thinking Christ that is strong and never really making an effort to source some ' sweet young pricket venison'

I am told by my game dealer that 90% of the venison in this country is exported anyway to Europe, and the Germans love a bit of rutty venison, full of testosterone, just the way they like it.

Quote Originally Posted by stalker.308 View Post
    I am told by my game dealer that 90% of the venison in this country is exported anyway to Europe, and the Germans love a bit of rutty venison, full of testosterone, just the way they like it.
    I have no experience of Fallow in the rut but would imagine there will not be that much difference from reds in the rut, I certainly would not eat a rutting stag, though as you say the Europeans dont seem to mind. When people say they dont like venison I think their first experience of it has been venison from a rutting stag. Likewise the common practice of red wine in venison cooking, while it may make a poor quality piece of venison more palatable, it does nothing for good venison in fact in my opinion the exact opposite, far better to just drink the wine.

Like the practice of shooting rutting fallow on stands I find the meat distasteful
    ​norma

Funnily enough I don't eat that much venison, but if out for a meal I will have it if on the menu.
    2 weeks ago I had some and it was the best I have ever had, today, same restaurant and chef same dish, fallow again.
    I had raved so much about I had to have it again, and Mum had it as well, neither of us finished it, tasted far to strong
    and just not quite right, I commented as I was begrudgingly handing over 60 for two lunches that it had be well below par.
    The reply staggered me, yes a few have said that this week, still wanted the money though

Neil.

Of course rutty meat is a different thing to well hung meat..... my better half likes it when I don't hang the meat for so long, but doesn't mind a rutty one....

The only reason we shoot large male deer during the rut is for sporting purposes, the stalking is dramatic and they are generally easier to find,

From a management point of view your mature buck/stag cull should be pretty much completed by early September so that you have decided which animals are going to go into the rut, they will have been taken when in prime condition and at their heaviest and, by reducing the male:female ratio you should, in theory, get less rutting injuries.

Not saying that shooting during the rut is wrong just that we should remember why we are doing it and accept the reduced quality and value of the venison and market it accordingly.

Never eaten rutting fallow buck venison myself but Red stag shot during the rut has a very distinct "metallic" taste about it and as you lift every forkfull to your mouth you get a reminder of what the beast smelled like when you gralloched it....

It's Mingin'
    Last edited by Si; 18-10-2013 at 12:15.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox