Thread: Replacement BSA CF2 bolt

Replacement BSA CF2 bolt

Does anyone have a replacement BSA CF2 bolt kicking around, which works on 308 Winchester or the extended 308 family of cases?

I have an old BSA CF2 rifle and am looking for a replacement bolt.

My understanding is they are compatible, but would get headspace etc checked out.

i think the requirement for a variation is a bit of a grey area. I would apply for it if required.

​thanks

Do you need the whole bolt as some parts are available on line quite cheep if it just needs an overhaul.

No grey area muddy, you will need to have a slot on your certificate for someone to sell you a another bolt.
    My first ports of call would be John Knibbs or Norman Clark. John spent a lot of time buying up BSA spares some time ago and even produced new rifles from the spares he acquired. I don't know if he still does so or has sold on his spares to Chambers. Norman Clark in addition to his Parker Hale spares has various other parts in stock which could include some spares for BSA rifles.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

If you hand the rifle in to a dealer wit instruction to replace the bolt no variation is needed , However a re-proofing would be necessary .
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler 1933

borders gunroom has a cf2 that's shot out, they were going to have it destroyed I think, so maybe worth asking if you can buy it for the purpose of the bolt exclusively. I know this because they showed me the barrel which was pitted to hell from the moderator..and I recall there was another chap with a laminate custom stock rifle sitting in dicksons in edinburgh needing a CF2 bolt AS WELL..

why are you BSA owners losing your bolts????

Thanks all. I have been in touch with the suggested contacts.

hope you win Muddy :-)

also,,,in general, not specific to this case, but do people realise that if you lose a bolt you need to declare it to the police as it's a pressure bearing component?...

I think it's a subconscious thing....the desperate need to replace the thing with a Sako!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    hope you win Muddy :-)

also,,,in general, not specific to this case, but do people realise that if you lose a bolt you need to declare it to the police as it's a pressure bearing component?...
    why are you BSA owners losing your bolts????

Not lost, the current bolt is just worn. I would value finding a replacement as the rifle is very accurate.

In what way is it worn? Seems strange that the bolt should wear out before the rest of the rifle. Bolts are normally pretty substantial pieces of engineering.

It wouldn't happen to be badly pitted would it? There was a posting on this site some time ago where the original poster had purchased a rifle from a dealer in the south east. The bolt face on that rifle was very badly pitted and corroded possibly from shooting large amounts of corrosive ex-military ammunition without carrying out the necessary cleaning (speculation).

P.S. Just did a search and discovered that we are talking about the same bolt and that you were the original poster. I'm surprised that you didn't resolve this matter some time ago.
    Last edited by 8x57; 20-10-2013 at 15:42.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.