Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stalking Bag - Recommendations?

Stalking Bag - Recommendations?

Hi Chaps,

Simple question for you all today.

I have been acquiring all my stalking kit ready for the arrival in the post in the next few days of my FAC. My rifle, scope and mod are at the shop waiting to be picked up, but I've also got a collection of lots of little bits (e.g. knife, knife sharpener, tick tools, protective gloves etc.) accumulating around the house, all wanting a container to store them in.

I already have a bag for my "shotgun kit" that's got the appropriate stuff for bird hunting in it, which is very convenient - I just grab the bag and when I get to the field, I already know that I've got everything I'll need to deal with and carry away anything I shoot.

I'd like to achieve the same degree of convenience for my stalking kit, so I'm interested to know whether anyone can share a good solution to the problem of carrying all these little bits? If it was big enough to carry an FAC in a wallet too, that would be helpful.

At the moment, my thinking is towards some kind of waist-carried bag with a belt, so that my knife (in its sheath) and bolt holder can attach to it as and when required - but since I've got much less field experience than almost all of you here, I could use some guidance on what's the best approach. I'm assuming it's better to keep your back free for carrying deer back to the larder in a sack / dragging a sled?

I don't want to be lugging useless kit around, but it would be good to find a way of just being able to grab my bag (or other container) when I need it, without having to repack for every trip, replacement items notwithstanding.

Links to places to order such a bag from would be gratefully received and the cheaper the better - buying my rifle etc. has cleaned me out a bit! I've checked places like Bushwear and Uttings, but I'm not sure about the suitability of what's offered there.

Thanks,

Adam.

Personal preference surely. Maybe a few custom add ons to a store bought product.
    If you're going to be carrying A shot animal back then chances are you're going to be carrying the bag anyway. You could put you kit in the bag. Plenty of Roe sacks on offer.

An old ammo box off eBay will do the trick

All of what I carry goes in my pockets when stalking, as things like FAC, bolt holder and knife sharpener won't be needed once you leave the car
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    An old ammo box off eBay will do the trick

All of what I carry goes in my pockets when stalking, as things like FAC, bolt holder and knife sharpener won't be needed once you leave the car
    Ok - so this is the kind of thing I needed. For instance, my habit is to sharpen my knives (kitchen or elsewhere) as I'm about to use them, but you imply yours is done before you start your stalk - it's that kind of modification to my previous practice that's going to make me a better stalker. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Personal preference surely. Maybe a few custom add ons to a store bought product.
    If you're going to be carrying A shot animal back then chances are you're going to be carrying the bag anyway. You could put you kit in the bag. Plenty of Roe sacks on offer.
    Ah - regarding Roe Sacks: I've never actually seen or used one yet so I think I have been confused. Do I read correctly that you're saying that they aren't just for carrying the deer but have pockets etc. as well? I.e. a rucksack plus deer carrier? I was under the impression it was just a thing for deer...

Quote Originally Posted by neutron619 View Post
    Ah - regarding Roe Sacks: I've never actually seen or used one yet so I think I have been confused. Do I read correctly that you're saying that they aren't just for carrying the deer but have pockets etc. as well? I.e. a rucksack plus deer carrier? I was under the impression it was just a thing for deer...
    There you go.
    Google Image Result for http://www.stalkersuk.com/images/deluxe%20canvas.jpg

As you seem keen on carting all but the larder sink around the woods one of these should see you covered:

Cheers

K

Quote Originally Posted by neutron619 View Post
    Ok - so this is the kind of thing I needed. For instance, my habit is to sharpen my knives (kitchen or elsewhere) as I'm about to use them, but you imply yours is done before you start your stalk - it's that kind of modification to my previous practice that's going to make me a better stalker. Thanks.
    Army Surplus 50 Cal Ammo Box Genuine Military Issue Tool Box Metal Storage Box | eBay

I do everything before I leave the house.
    If it's a morning stalk, then I'm in the field as hour before sunrise and don't trust myself with anything sharper than my elbow! Carry as little as poss and make sure nothing rattles
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks guys - I'm sure one of the options you've listed will work - probably the ammo box as that'll be nice and sturdy. I'll go and count m' pennies and see what's left...