Thread: Attracting boar

Attracting boar

hi

i have just been given permission to set up a feed station for Boar on a farm in east sussex, any advise,and photos of your set up would be much appreciated

atb Les

Not got a Boar station on my permissions but seen a few Stateside that relied a lot on bought in specialized feeds and scents placed in a well secured tripod style suspended feeder in a cleared area about 40-60 sq meters, i also saw some guys bury the majority of the feed with a little scent on the surface, they say this kept them busy and interested in a more natural way longer so they could choose the animal & take the shots, i would however suggest that since a bumper crop of both apples and acorns are about you could start with those.
    ​atb

looks to me that wheat in ordinary pheasant feeders work well too!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stalkingsussex View Post
    hi

i have just been given permission to set up a feed station for Boar on a farm in east sussex, any advise,and photos of your set up would be much appreciated

atb Les
    Les,

Posting on here will most certainly attract a lot of boar

​Stan

I make and sell these here in Sweden. No i won't be selling any in the UK. Just needs a spreader fitted to the bottom of the plastic drum. Spread out 1 kg a day and soon your knee deep in boar.

Quote Originally Posted by stalkingsussex View Post
    hi

atb Les
    Google or youtube stuff like hog tube, pig tube, pig pipe, etc..... Here's a quick look.. I am considering getting a lease and will make a couple of these myself.... One guy put a cowbell on his, then took matching bell and put it in his stand.... He'd ring the bell in the stand and the neighborhood hogs would think a stranger was at the feeder and come out.....

Looks quite clever but would badgers not bother it?

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    Looks quite clever but would badgers not bother it?
    I don't know, but if they did.... we could shoot em

not sure how the corn would handle wet conditions tho.... may get sticky and just stay in there and rot (could be a plus tho?).....

Unfortunately we can't

I know pheasant in feeders if ur wheat gets damp at all it soon swells and wont come out the holes.

Possibly if u somehow raised either end (wrapped some pipe, rubber etc) so main body off pipe isnae lying directly on the ground may help, just be rainwater to worry about. As long as not too much grain in there ur not be losing too much

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    Google or youtube stuff like hog tube, pig tube, pig pipe, etc..... Here's a quick look.. I am considering getting a lease and will make a couple of these myself.... One guy put a cowbell on his, then took matching bell and put it in his stand.... He'd ring the bell in the stand and the neighborhood hogs would think a stranger was at the feeder and come out.....

I am fairly sure it is illegal in Germany to put food out for boar that is not covered up with heavy items like rocks and logs, reason being it is forbidden to bait deer. I could be wrong, so I would check before you get yourself in any trouble.

​cheers