Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which NV ad on.

which NV ad on.

Hi all.
    Ive decided to get into night vision shooting instead of the trusted old lamp and was wondering if anyone on here who uses it could give me some advice on units to use that are robust reliable and user friendly as well as obviously good quality,

I've decided I'd like to go the rear mounted ad on type so I guess thats one what I'd call major hurdle taken but anyone who could help in anyway im all ears and would be very grateful.
    Kind regards
    Jimmy

What are you proposing to shoot? Rabbits only, mainly fox or a mixture? What sort of ranges would you reckon most of your shooting will be at?
    Night vision can be a minefield for beginners, there is a lot of very good equipment out there, some very expensive some not too bad at all. Best advice as always with this type of kit is try before you buy.
    If you want to pm me I would be happy to give you my experiences.

hi bud the pvs14/ envis units are good starlight archer will do the job but not as goodas usa stuff you will have to use ir iluminator with all of them but most important is scope dont use high end jobsas these have to meney coatings which dont alow the infrared spectrum to get to the n/v unit hence aditional ir light sorce as for best scope for night vision 8x32x56 ags with lazer iluminator i had mine at 32mag at 250yards leupold fixed 10x40 good scope as is leopold 4x14x50 s@b pants night force 5x15x56 crap sightron s3 usable up to 10mag 6x24x50 the agswas the best for n/v use if it was me idgo for dedicated unit i use d760 gen3 on my tikka it has acounted for hundreds offoxes my other gun isa rem 7mag which uses aderilight xsercher with red led goodto 300yards but i use a pair of night vision binoculars to spot then shoot this may be your best bet asgogles dont get damaged by recoil and derilight modules are onley 35pounds if they stuff up pvs14 will cost you from 2000 /2500 envis 1200/1500 archer 800/1200 binoculars gen 3 flee bay from 800/2000 or go digital for under 500 hope it helps all the best robert

If you want tubed then I would go for the archer for under 1800 I think. If it breaks then you can get it fixed. Not aware of anybody who will do that with an envis. Also the archer can handle the recoil whereas the envis won't. so going up to 223 you will increase the risk of damage. something about the way they are made. Someone techhie can explain.
    Scope choice is paramount. I use leupolds vxIII4-14 x 50 and AGS think it is a 4 or 6 to 18 or something. You want an old AGS not a new one.
    Illumination also really important. The firefly is good but I do use a nightmaster most of the time nowadays, keep the firefly in case the batteries goes dead on the nightmaster. There are people on the NV site who make and flog some very good illuminators at reasonable money.
    The biggest problem with the Archer I found is that with the scope mounted as far forward as you could go you still needed the rubber boot on the back to get the eye relief correct. I didn't like what this did to the balance so I overcame this by getting a weaver rail which sticks out about 2 inches over the barrel. It doesn't touch. But as my NV rifles are used 98 % of the time at night it was worth it to me. I can drag up a picture if you need one. Oh and I got the rail off ebay for not a lot.
    Distance wise I think using the Archer as a spotter then 400 yards. on the scope depending on conditions etc then 200 yards max out to 150 should be ok. I really need to do some distance checks. I don't tend to measure and all my shooting is less than that so I can't really be more specific as I like to keep things to 100 yards and will not shoot at a pair of eyes. I want to be able to identify the target 100%. Not worth the risk particularly as there are a lot of farm cats and I would not be very popular if I mixed them up.
    I am a big Archer fan (got 2 of them so you can see which side my bed is made on) but there has been a lot of new digital kit come out on the market this year and whilst I haven't tried them myself reports are saying good things about some of them. But I spent my money so will be sticking with what I got.
    The most important thing about NV is to try it before you buy. Would you buy a new car without driving it first? find someone locally who will let you see through it, try as many as you can because if you get it wrong it is expensive.
    Or build your own. depends of your skill level and if you can be arsed.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Oh and I disagree with Wraith. I have looked through Envis which were worse than the archer and ones that were better.
    I was out with a bloke and he had an evnis and we swapped to test. neither of us liked each others units, we both struggled to focus them so whether that was our eyes or we were in a hurry to get off foxing who knows.

Envis and Archer people also spend a lot of time shouting at each other saying that their unit is better.

you will have to make up your own mind on that one.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

[QUOTE=The Singing Stalker;667747]Oh and I disagree with Wraith. I have looked through Envis which were worse than the archer and ones that were better.
    I was out with a bloke and he had an evnis and we swapped to test. neither of us liked each others units, we both struggled to focus them so whether that was our eyes or we were in a hurry to get off foxing who knows.

Envis and Archer people also spend a lot of time shouting at each other saying that their unit is better. hi bud archer uses eev tubes that were used secondworld war pvs14 and envis
    use current gen3 mill speck tubes the mx10160 tube in the envis is the most widley used tube world wide in dedicated militery units if you fit a mx10160 silver bulit tube in your archer you would never use another eev tube
    you may just have viewed a duffer but most usa tubes even the gen two
    will blow the archer out of the water the fire fly is a poor copey of a dipol l3 as a exemploye of a night vision companey i tested hundreds of night vision units i now use pvs14 pvs7 gogles and d760 dedicated rifle scope
    all gen3 for the last 15years gen 3 usa tubesgarented 10.000 hours gen 2 5.000 hours eev garente ran out second world war see it shoot it all the best rob

[QUOTE=wraith;667755]
    Quote Originally Posted by The Singing Stalker View Post
    Oh and I disagree with Wraith. I have looked through Envis which were worse than the archer and ones that were better.

Envis and Archer people also spend a lot of time shouting at each other saying that their unit is better. hi bud archer uses eev tubes that were used secondworld war pvs14 and envis
    use current gen3 mill speck tubes the mx10160 tube in the envis is the most widley used tube world wide in dedicated militery units if you fit a mx10160 silver bulit tube in your archer you would never use another eev tube
    you may just have viewed a duffer but most usa tubes even the gen two
    will blow the archer out of the water the fire fly is a poor copey of a dipol l3 as a exemploye of a night vision companey i tested hundreds of night vision units i now use pvs14 pvs7 gogles and d760 dedicated rifle scope
    all gen3 for the last 15years gen 3 usa tubesgarented 10.000 hours gen 2 5.000 hours eev garente ran out second world war see it shoot it all the best rob
    +1

Interesting as I was going to post about NV today too.

I've been lent a Yukon NVRS-F to try but am not sure if it'll be any good on a 22-250. It would be mainly used for rabbits on my wmr which would be ok on charlie if I came across one at 80 yards or below.

Anyone got or used one of these. I've tinkered with it before but never made a real concerted effort at mounting it properly on a rifle,

Cheers
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Interesting as I was going to post about NV today too.

I've been lent a Yukon NVRS-F to try but am not sure if it'll be any good on a 22-250. It would be mainly used for rabbits on my wmr which would be ok on charlie if I came across one at 80 yards or below.

Anyone got or used one of these. I've tinkered with it before but never made a real concerted effort at mounting it properly on a rifle,

Cheers
    used on a 17hmr 22rimfire it would be ok dont fit it to your 22-250 as the tube will blow all gen1 tubes are glass just like a light bulb drop it its busted to much recoil it will blow when the say recoil tested to 357mag etc let me give you the heads up its not the tube thatstested but the housing itself will stand up to the recoil gen2and gen 3 tubes are onley recoil tested by itt to 223 5.56cal if you fit one to a larger caliber you may get away with it but may get damaged in the first shot so gen1 stuff keep to low recoiling guns ps more ilumination will boost your scope to 150yards after that you will not know what your shooting at