Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Knee replacement

  1. #1

    Knee replacement

    Hi gents I was just wondering if any of you have had your knees replaced ? What are they like now , say a few years on? I had both mine replaced four months ago due tO a car accident , ( along with various bones pinned and plated ) and I'm a little worried as I'm only 29 so I'm wondering how long they will hold out
    atb Jim
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    Hi gents I was just wondering if any of you have had your knees replaced ? What are they like now , say a few years on? I had both mine replaced four months ago due tO a car accident , ( along with various bones pinned and plated ) and I'm a little worried as I'm only 29 so I'm wondering how long they will hold out
    atb Jim
    I was told max 10 years sorry for the bad news

  3. #3
    An ole mate of mine, now 64 had his knees done about 10/12 years ago.

    Before he had them done, he had sold all his guns because of the pain when going out and not being able to get about as he would like.

    Now he's like a spring bloody chicken, he is careful so wears knee pads for crawling etc, but the places he gets are quite unbelievable.

    We did the hill for a week last year, and go upto our syndicate ground twice a year for a week.

    Last year our chiller was out of action so we hung our deer over night in a tree to keep em cool, I called him on the radio to say I was on my way to help hang the deer up.
    I got to where we had agreed and couldn't find him, I called him on radio asking "where are you", the reply was " up here! " he was laughing 12 foot up a tree with the 2 does!

    Good luck fella.
    Last edited by floyd; 18-10-2013 at 08:24.

  4. #4
    Thanks for the replies lads , seems like a bit of a mixed response so far .....
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by DJC View Post
    I was told max 10 years sorry for the bad news

    That lifespan is relevant to old technology
    My mother had both hers done and a hip over the course of 18m at least 10yrs ago

    hips and knee technology is far removed from the ones that "wore out" in 10 years.
    That was also a technique to limit uptake and waiting lists by having patients suffer the pain for a bit longer in the hope that a reconstruction later in life would see them out!

    I have to ask, why a full replacement at 29?
    I have a fairly severe condition of Osteochondritis Dessecans in both knees and have had 4 arthroscopies to remove dislodged cartilage between the ages of 23 and 27. I have no doubt I have replacement to look forward to later in life but for the moment I will hold off

    full blown replacement sub 30 must have been something fairly major

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    That lifespan is relevant to old technology
    My mother had both hers done and a hip over the course of 18m at least 10yrs ago

    hips and knee technology is far removed from the ones that "wore out" in 10 years.
    That was also a technique to limit uptake and waiting lists by having patients suffer the pain for a bit longer in the hope that a reconstruction later in life would see them out!

    I have to ask, why a full replacement at 29?
    I have a fairly severe condition of Osteochondritis Dessecans in both knees and have had 4 arthroscopies to remove dislodged cartilage between the ages of 23 and 27. I have no doubt I have replacement to look forward to later in life but for the moment I will hold off

    full blown replacement sub 30 must have been something fairly major
    Thanks for the reply bewsher I was in a serious car accident the dash was pushed into my knees which broke them badly and dislocated one too , the damage was too bad to save them really , they're ok just sore it's just how long be able to work I'm concerned with really ....
    ​atb Jim
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

  7. #7
    Jim i need one doing I am 40 but my surgeon told me to hang out as long as possible as they do wear out I was told two years ago when i had cartilage trimmed the last time lifespan was 10-15 years and if doing heavy work or sports it would be less. I was under the impression its a one time thing.
    now if you had to have them done then i would have thought it was really your only option and just really try and look after them, atb wayne

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    Jim i need one doing I am 40 but my surgeon told me to hang out as long as possible as they do wear out I was told two years ago when i had cartilage trimmed the last time lifespan was 10-15 years and if doing heavy work or sports it would be less. I was under the impression its a one time thing.
    now if you had to have them done then i would have thought it was really your only option and just really try and look after them, atb wayne
    Thanks for the reply mate , yeah they had to replace both of mine as they were wrecked I suppose it's just a case o work as long as I can and try to keep what I've got :/
    ​atb Jim
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

  9. #9
    yes just be carefull with them use good knee pads when bending down on floors and such like.I have real trouble in colder weather my knee is baldy worn and it twists in the socket i have a brace when stalking to support the knee and stop the twisting which was wearing the knee, atb wayne

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    yes just be carefull with them use good knee pads when bending down on floors and such like.I have real trouble in colder weather my knee is baldy worn and it twists in the socket i have a brace when stalking to support the knee and stop the twisting which was wearing the knee, atb wayne
    Yeah I'm going to try a wee stalk next week I'm looking for a knee support to wear
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Similar Threads

  1. TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT
    By CHRIS WORLEY in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-03-2012, 21:15
  2. Bad knee
    By cube in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 25-01-2012, 18:38
  3. A wonky knee and a few steep hills.......
    By merlin in forum Articles & Write Ups
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 29-11-2011, 09:46
  4. Knee trembler
    By Mannlicher_Stu in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16-02-2011, 22:16
  5. For Sale Knee operated stainless sink
    By sikadog in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31-03-2010, 16:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •