Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA Viscount 7x57

BSA Viscount 7x57

I was lucky enough to acquire this rifle a few days ago..... I will post a pic or two later this evening... The 5B prefix told me 1955-1962 & the scepter proof says 1956-Birmingham..(FXB by insp. 2). it does have the schnabel stock.... the guy I purchased it from had it two weeks & never shot the rifle & cant contact the guy before him.... The bolt operates flawlessly with no cartridge but its firm to close/finish the bolt on 2 different types of factory ammo as well as new unloaded brass... honestly, the gun doesn't even look broken in yet....This rifle looks newer than most any rifle I own.... there are 1 or two small stock scratches & 2 small marks on the bluing & that's pretty much it.... I have e-mailed Knibbs but he requested some upfront $ to date my rifle.... the internet got me to where I am now... I have seen a few references to books that might shed some light...... its #5B110 and the 110 is on the barrel, bolt, & action so appears no mod's done.... I wonder where this has been for the last 57 years....

Quote Originally Posted by noworyz View Post
    I was lucky enough to acquire this rifle a few days ago..... I will post a pic or two later this evening... The 5B prefix told me 1955-1962 & the scepter proof says 1956-Birmingham..(FXB by insp. 2). it does have the schnabel stock.... the guy I purchased it from had it two weeks & never shot the rifle & cant contact the guy before him.... The bolt operates flawlessly with no cartridge but its firm to close/finish the bolt on 2 different types of factory ammo as well as new unloaded brass... honestly, the gun doesn't even look broken in yet....This rifle looks newer than most any rifle I own.... there are 1 or two small stock scratches & 2 small marks on the bluing & that's pretty much it.... I have e-mailed Knibbs but he requested some upfront $ to date my rifle.... the internet got me to where I am now... I have seen a few references to books that might shed some light...... its #5B110 and the 110 is on the barrel, bolt, & action so appears no mod's done.... I wonder where this has been for the last 57 years....
    Unless like Knibbs one has access to the shipping record then the serial number is no use in dating the BSA's. We instead have to use the private Birmingham View code and if I am reading your post correctly and the "(FXB by insp. 2)" is F one left and B on the right of the crossed lances then that dates yours to 1955.

​ According to Knibbs book there were 2617 of these made for the 7x57 cartridge.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Brithunter; 18-10-2013 at 17:17. Reason: typos

Thank you Brithunter, it was following your posts over the past on the BSA rifles that led me here..... so let me say I appreciate your help.... I was using rifleman.org.uk to read the sceptor proof... in looking back I see where I read it incorrectly as 1956 when it is actually 1955....... looks possibly like # 110 of 2617.... I will probably never know how it made it's way here to the Panhandle of Florida.... Brithunter, I will post pic's later but any thought to the firmness to finish the bolt closing? ....probably getting to a gunsmith to check it out first but my thoughts are either dirty chamber or not broken in yet.... I've had it less than 5 days..... picked it up scoped w/180 rounds of Remington & Federal factory ammo... both 140gr.... I already load for a Chilean Mauser in 7X57, anybody have a starting point for the Viscount? I would probably look to formfire the brass to fit the BSA, neck size & see what I could work out....

As to teh bolt being a bit tight I think it may be dried oil/grease. Be careful stripping the bolt as there is a tiny ball and spring under the safety lever which flies off into the unkown at the first chance. I would be inclined to soak the whole bolt in some white spirit the drain and allow to dry and try again. Clean the chamber and the locking lug recess. I wonder if it still has the old Youngs 303 they used as a shipping protection/preservative.

The BSA's of this type are very strong actions so any modern loads within normal operating pressures will be just fine. The barrels on these were cut rifled and lapped. It was not until quite a bit later did BSA switch to hammer forging. The trigger is also adjustable for length of pull, weight of pull and travel.

In 7x57 they have a 1 in 10" twist according to the information in Knibbs book.

Did find some paste in the chamber, closely resembled cosmoline..... will soak the bolt but just seems tight only when closing on a case..... bore light shows no marks at all.... I meant to take pictures but had a SAR mission over this weekend that prevented me from doing so... plan to do so tonight...

No luck on contacting the previous owner so the research has ended....for nearly 58 years old she's quite a beauty and looks hardly shot at all........... going to the range this weekend to put a few down the barrel.... here are a few pic's....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1847.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	404.5 KB 
ID:	34187Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1850.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	327.8 KB 
ID:	34188Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1849.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	352.1 KB 
ID:	34189
    Last edited by noworyz; 01-11-2013 at 17:48.

Lovely - point it at some deer, and it's my preferred calibre.

Very nice indeed.. Good find. Pity about the history though but it's often the case.

Had some good range time on Wednesday with the Viscount...... It shot really well and got it to zero with two shots and things went bad from there.... appears the Leupold rifleman rings are not a perfect fit and ever so slightly give under recoil.... I'm having the devil of a time getting rings... Got some CZ 550 rings on referral by leupold cause of the 19mm base but they wont work because of the odd design of the CZ recoil lug... I could use 2 front rings but the rear is bad.... any thoughts on what might be a good direction for me to go.. I saw a few old posts here but never really got anywhere with the links... any help is appreciated.... I'm hunting hogs this weekend with a .220 Swift and wishing it was the Viscount...
    Last edited by noworyz; 14-11-2013 at 21:58.

I have, in the past, very carefuly filed the recoil lug off a set of mounts and if you assemble it very carefully you should find it doesn't move.

David.