Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good books

good books

Can anyone give any suggestions for some good reading. Whether it's stalking, reloading or foxing. Making my list for Santa .

Cheers Leon

A year in the woods, robert bucknalls foxing books and the lee reloading manual for starters

The gamekeeper by Barry Hines ain't a bad read but I'm biased it's written about a good friend of mine the wood belong to me is good as well as a hundred years in the highlands , I like old school stuff
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

+1 for the gamekeeper

Another on foxing is Fox Control by Sean Frain
    Muntjac Managing an Alien Speicies by Charles Smith-Jones
    Deer-Sporting Answers Richard Prior

Quote Originally Posted by Dakaras View Post
    +1 for the gamekeeper

Another on foxing is Fox Control by Sean Frain
    Muntjac Managing an Alien Speicies by Charles Smith-Jones
    Deer-Sporting Answers Richard Prior
    Glad to see another fan look for the dedication in the front to Trevor jones that's my friend and neighbor a great guy who still gets ferreting Even inin his late 70s!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    Glad to see another fan look for the dedication in the front to Trevor jones that's my friend and neighbor a great guy who still gets ferreting Even inin his late 70s!
    I read the gamekeeper at 14 or 15......That book is the reason my first job from school was keepering

Barry Hines was a school friend of his he wrote the book when he came to live with Trevor and his family when he was keepering in the mid sixties on the wentworth estate , way before kes I believe , trev was the bloke who took me ferreting when I was6 and I've been hooked since

We hijacked the thread sorry to OP Ive just dug out my copy must be 30 years olds now....Going to read it again...Tell Trevor thank you from me, ive read it 4 or 5 times over the years and always enjoy it....I always liked the thought the keeper was out there somewhere, cussing his dogs and working his ferrets

Quote Originally Posted by Dakaras View Post
    We hijacked the thread sorry to OP Ive just dug out my copy must be 30 years olds now....Going to read it again...Tell Trevor thank you from me, ive read it 4 or 5 times over the years and always enjoy it....I always liked the thought the keeper was out there somewhere, cussing his dogs and working his ferrets
    I sure will mate I'll see him tommorow , I take his terriers for walks when he's not feeling up to it , and yes himcussing his dogs is about right lol but I sit for hours listening to him and his stories of when he was ad when wildfowling with Kenzie Thorpe , they don't make men like him anymore ! I'll be ferreting with him this winter again
    ​atb Jim

A Foxer's Year by SD's very own Paddy_SP got mine last week and have not put it down,great info with excellent accounts of different foxing forays.