Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: river cottage

river cottage

Always watched river cottage from when it first came on our screens till now I sky+ it and although there's always been some cooking on it. It now seems to be just another cooking show. Would like to see the program get back to the day's where you see Hugh going you shooting or fishing for his meal. Not enough cooking shows show where our food really comes from

Yes, I agree, he needs to get back to his roots (carrots, parsnips, potatoes).

Just recently watched his very first A cook on the wildside again its great, id love to see a return to his roots

I can't help but agree his earlier stuff was great , maybe a few letters or emails to him letting them know how we feel about his show ?
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

He's managed by the same PR woman that has made all the other chefs not that he is a trained chef millionaires he has just fitted into to make his fortune like the rest of them.

Never hear any of them defending rural activities much now adays?

Off topic. But one of the best things I've watched in a long time. Was kill it cook it eat it. Blood guts the works

Quote Originally Posted by JR73 View Post
    Off topic. But one of the best things I've watched in a long time. Was kill it cook it eat it. Blood guts the works
    End of the day no matter who the chef was they did what they were told to do.
    HFW was no different, started small, educated the general public, sold out then did what he was told.
    As always the did the talking.
    Where HFW was different was he created his own enviroment within the wilderness and it grew, until tv saw the money.
    Just look at the origional TV chefs .. oh, you can`t. They saw the light.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by JR73 View Post
    Always watched river cottage from when it first came on our screens till now I sky+ it and although there's always been some cooking on it. It now seems to be just another cooking show. Would like to see the program get back to the day's where you see Hugh going you shooting or fishing for his meal. Not enough cooking shows show where our food really comes from
    I don't get much of a chance to watch TV these days, there is always something more beneficial to my life that I could be doing - Like getting out after some Fallow Deer or cooking with their meat. However, occasionally its important to, light a fire, make a pot of Tea, and sit down for a bit.
    I think its quite true that the Huge Fury Whippingtool has sold himself out. He probably wants to do things in a more self sufficient way but has to do what the marketing people say. That's why I can't be bothered with these TV programmes, they are so over edited and sanitised that I find them utterly boring, you can almost hear the directors 'directing' and I find them to be cringe worthy and thus, more often than not, opt for a book .
    I read Keith Floyd's Auto biography (Shaken not stirred) a few years back and it was astonishingly gripping read. Keith floyd was the true Daddy of such cooking programs, reading his book you realise very quickly, what an interesting life he led, and also discover truly surprising things, like the fact that Keith Floyd grew up in a Council House just outside Birmingham. He trained as a cook in the Army following a nervous breakdown and that was in the days when men cooking was seen more as a punishment than a privilege. Going by his book one gets the clear impression that Keith Floyd was a truly talented man who's skills got eaten up and ruined by a pack of egocentric nutters from the Media world.
    Sadly, I doubt that the Huge Fury Whippingtool will get away any more lightly than Keith Floyd did.

Kind regards, Olaf

Saturday farm is the same with farther and son, Dick and James Strawbridge. Most of the programme is with the two of them cooking up meals and a little bit in between on farming.

They were better on other programmes building wind and hydro turbines and making something of use out of rubbish.

Too many cooking programmes.

​ELMER

hugh fernley whasisface was on the other night

he went fishing for mackerel, cooked them on the boat
    ​its always been about cooking