Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The problems when fitting a rifle with a moderator all solve

The problems when fitting a rifle with a moderator all solve

This post was brought about because of the post about Moderators in the General Discussion section “To mod or not to mod?” hope you are reading Private Fraser.

Here is my solution to some of the problems when fitting a moderator to a rifle.

The ideal is to get a really light rifle to use as your base rifle, towards this end I sold my Tikka 595 and brought a Browning A-Bolt titanium, these weigh 5 1/2lbs with a 22” none fluted barrel, for comparison a Sako Finlight with a 21” fluted barrel weighs about a 1lb more. Unfortunately they do not make these rifles any more, and they where not cheap when they did. I added a Swarvoski scope as these seem to be the lightest of all the quality scopes, at the minute it is mounted in Weaver aluminium rings/bases, although I have a set of Tally one piece lightweight mounts on top of the gun cabinet to swap these with once I get a minute.

For a moderator I went for an A-Tec CCM, with this model you can remove baffles one set at a time, trading weigh for less noise suppression. I found I could remove 2 baffles without any problems with noise suppression for stalking. The CCM weighs just under 1lb with all baffles, so I guess about 12oz with two removed. You can see the spare baffles next to the bipod in the photo.

To stop the rifle swinging round when it is on your shoulder, leaving you no option but to carry the moderator down which leads to it being dragged through all the undergrowth. I fitted a sling swivel mounted on the barrel. For this I used an engineers “P-Clip” which are normally used for securing rubber hoses. It has a steel ring covered with rubber; I had to make a small adaptor to mount the sling swivel to the P-clip. Mounting a sling in this position is nothing new, it is popular on African game riles, Brownells sell steel barrel sling mounting rings, but I think you might have to have these soldered onto your barrel.

On the heavy barrelled Howa with a 20” barrel I have fitted a Nylon sling swivel to the barrel. On the Howa with the mag’ conversion I have a “P-Clip” conversion fitted direct to the A-Tec moderator. This over barrel moderator again weighs 500gms, although A-Tec no longer make this moderator, Jager sporting arms now make one very similar, the best bit is it only cost £175, £90 less than the A-Tec one.

So long as you make sure that the sling is loose when you shoot the rifle I could detect no affect on rifle accuracy, all three rifles shoot sub 1 MOA with or without slings fitted, I guess it might make a difference on a bench rest rifle but it was not detectable on my stalking rifles. One down side is that you cannot use the sling wrapped around your elbow when shooting free hand, not a problem to me with my style of shooting.

Browning A-Bolt Titanium with CCM.

Heavy Barrel cut down to 20”

270 Howa with Mag’ conversion.

ATB

Tahr

very nice looking rifles 8)

Tahr, would you give a little more info on the Howa mag conversion?, Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270
    Tahr, would you give a little more info on the Howa mag conversion?, Steve.
    Hi Steve before you were a member I did a post on the conversion, to save you searching for it I have cut and pasted it here for you.

I have been working on a Detachable Magazine conversion for my Howa 1500. Here is the finished product, “no CNC machining was used in the construction of this conversion.” So it was back to my roots using bench fitting hand tools.

I wanted to keep the new bottom metal to the same profile as the original Howa floor plate, this would mean that I could then put the original back in the stock at a latter date if I so desired.

For magazines I used one from a Remington, but I modified the feed lips on these mags to make them a double stack but feed from the central position like Accuracy International magazines. One down side was that this turned the 10 shot mag’ into a 9 shot. The five shot mag’ is just a cut down 10 shot with a new alloy bottom made for it.

The new mags’ make chambering a new round much nicer with less resistance on the bolt, the bullets now make contact with the feed ramp ½ to 2/3 the way up compared with the bottom of the ramp with the standard rifle.

The mag’ release catch is operated like a Badger Ordinance one, you just push it forward to release the mag’ I kept it small so you were least likely to catch it while stalking ect. It would be no problem to make a larger one for a range gun.

The 9 shot mag’ was wanted for my hunting trip to NZ, we fly out on Friday. We will be shooting wild boar among others animals and from past experience out there I found a 3 shot mag’ a bit limiting when the dogs hit a big mob of pigs. I am sure 5 in the mag’ would be fine but it will do no harm to have a few extra. The total cost was £12 for one mag’ and £16 for the other but don’t ask me how many man hours.

The mag’ in the middle is a 5 shot Tikka one.

Here you can see the mags’ feeding from the centre position.

The original Howa floor plate next to the roughed out new floor plate the trigger guard was TIG welded in place then dressed back as was the magazine box guild (not shown).

The 9 shot mag’ next to a Tikka 595 5shot for comparison.

5 shot mag’ fitted.

Best rgds

Tahr

Now I seem to have caught your interest , What are your thoughts on applying your conversion method to a WSM on the Howa 1500?

I've got a mag conversion my 308 Howa, so if you WSM is also short action it should work:

http://www.webshop.roedale.de/produc...-Howa1500.html

It is E240 before you get mags though...

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    I've got a mag conversion my 308 Howa, so if you WSM is also short action it should work:

I would double check that the WSM Cartridge will feed from a 308 magazine, as you know the case diameter is a lot bigger in diameter. I have seen Pete’s work in Germany, he will be able to advise you if you go this route.

If you are not in a hurry I know of one UK company that is planning in launching I mag’ conversion for the Howa range of rifles, cost will be a lot less than 240 euro/£240.

There are advantages to going to a centre feed magazine with a WSM cartridge on its own. It will smooth the loading of the short fat WSM cartridges, giving less resistance when closing the bolt.

ATB

Tahr

Thar

Any chance of a biiger picture of the 'p' clip attachment for the sling.

Cheers

Jonathon

Thanks

Hi Thar,

Thanks for the great idea! My 24" barrel with a Jet-Z is a pain. A lcose up would be much appreciated. You mentioned Jager Sporting Arms. Did they do your panit job? If so do you rate them and how is your coat holding up.

Many Thanks,

FYB

Quote Originally Posted by Thar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat

I would double check that the WSM Cartridge will feed from a 308 magazine, as you know the case diameter is a lot bigger in diameter. I have seen Pete’s work in Germany, he will be able to advise you if you go this route.

I'm all ears on this oneThar!

There are advantages to going to a centre feed magazine with a WSM cartridge on its own. It will smooth the loading of the short fat WSM cartridges, giving less resistance when closing the bolt.

ATB

Tahr