Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New breast bone saws!?

New breast bone saws!?

Just been looking for deer stuff on Ebay and found these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deer-Breas...#ht_481wt_1399
    They do a knife handled version too if you look at the other seller items. Has anyone tried these?
    They look very good. I may just have to get one - but which one?
    MS

"It has a specially designed curved tip to protect against accidental Gut, colon or bladder puncture."

if it is a breast bone saw what are that lot doing in the chest cavity!?

"you've seen the rest now buy the best"
    Mmmmmmm always worries me when I read that

Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    "you've seen the rest now buy the best"
    Mmmmmmm always worries me when I read that
    I've tried the rest, and to be honest, I've not found one I really like yet! The Sagen II came close, but it isn't stainless and the plastic tip craked off mine! Gerber one is ok but too small for larger deer. Stretton one has no tooth offset and jams in large deer. I even considered designing my own which wouldn't have been too dissimilar to these! Quite long for larger deer, stainless, no wide tip - just a blunt end. I probably wouldn't have included the gut hook as I use a seperate wide-gape one but the one on this looks useable and would be good for slicing down the first bit of the sternum cartlidge.
    Good point about the deer internals though, although I'm sure it is also intended for Aitch bone use!
    I think I'll buy one!
    MS

To me it looks like a saw with a gut hook on the end and I presume you can use it to unzip the deer, hence the round end to prevent punctures, and then saw through the sternum etc with the toothed part. A check on this site will show many views from people who find gut hooks on knives etc a nuisance, and I am one of them. This looks like an odd combination to me and not one I would go for

Ive only had one,the gerber one, bloody lost it a few weeks ago so ive been back to cutting frew pelvis and ribs etc with my knife, soon takes the edge of the blade ,bushwear is selling them for 8 quid, not gerber though, am hoping mine will turn up

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Just been looking for deer stuff on Ebay and found these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deer-Breas...#ht_481wt_1399
    They do a knife handled version too if you look at the other seller items. Has anyone tried these?
    They look very good. I may just have to get one - but which one?
    MS
    Sandvik woodsaw B&Q 2 FOR 9.95. No point f*cking around.

The new Casstrom No 7 saw looks a useful piece of kit.

Do you guys have some "requirement" that precludes just using your knife to part the ribs from the sternum?? I never saw a breast bone. It takes me 10 (?) seconds to open the chest cavity running my knife along side the sternum and I'm done.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Do you guys have some "requirement" that precludes just using your knife to part the ribs from the sternum?? I never saw a breast bone. It takes me 10 (?) seconds to open the chest cavity running my knife along side the sternum and I'm done.~Muir
    The trend here seems to be to cut centrally through the stermun Muir. It can be done with a knife, but it doesn't do much for keeping a sharp edge!
    It's easier to fit a chest spreader to aid cooling if either side of the sternum is intact. A side cut causes it to fold in either side of chest spreader.
    MS