Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy recoiling cals, Myth or not?

Heavy recoiling cals, Myth or not?

Accompanied Mrs Finnbear to the range yesterday, She had expressed an interest in shooting some of my rifles, I think She was a little bored with her .223 / .308 collection, , So, into the truck with the .270 without moderator, the best way to experience this cal for the first time, along with the 7mm WSM, with a mod, purely for the noise reduction, her immediate liking for the .270 was obvious, She reckons our close friend who shies away from .270 is a woos!!, On to the 7mm, OOPs!, length of pull is way off for her, so out with the screwy & off with the butt pad, a reduction of at least inch & a half, so She shoots this without the recoil pad!, Guess I'll have to try her with the .300 Winmag when it gets built.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I have a dozen calibre from .22 to 375H&H. The wife can shoot them all without incident and has shot deer and boar with a 270 Win. Saying that I have a BBF in 30R Blaser that is a pig to shoot. The stock fits perfectly but I cannot control it. No flinching.........it kicks like a mule. Gave it to my friend who is using it now and he says the same. Give me a 300WM or H&H any day.
    Last edited by Conor1; 20-10-2013 at 10:15.

Sometime being more lightly built in handling recoil as the body rolls with it. Being heavier more resistance so the body absorbs more punishment.

For years I have wondered just why the straight case of the 458 Win Mag produces so much recoil. It's plain horrible especially prone which of course was required by those wonderful experts at Bisley ranges. I have always wondered how mine would be if it was re-chambered to 450 Rigby.

My BSA CF2 "Stutzen" in 270 seems to jump more than kick shown by the small witness marks where the comb hit the bottom of my glasses. Of course modern specs are smaller frames so perhaps this no longer happens.

I grew up with unmoderated .270's so eye relief and "hold on" were drilled into me as a kid
    Its a vital part of the full bore experience as far as I am concerned! shooting low recoil CF's like the .222 is fun, in an air rifle kind of way...

Just got a 300WM and absolutely love it. Its not a sharp "kick" more of a "firm thump"

definitely an addiction!
    need to see how I can get that .416 rigby I have been pining for!

It's a different ball game altogether with the larger calibres, I find my .375 a joy to shoot as it's weight is there to accommodate the recoil to a degree, that said, I recently put 18 rounds through it back to back to test out the talley QD mounts I bought to check they we're accurate after being removed and replaced etc, and I was glad to put the rifle away in its case after I was done I have to say! But then I am a southern jessie!
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

The 375 H&H is a different beast to the 458 Win Mag. Honestly wish I had found one when I was looking for the P-H 1100M or the 404 Jeffries that I nearly had. P-H weighted the 1100M under the butt pad and in the forestock with lead.

A couple of weeks ago a friend was trying my .375H&H. His finger slipped from the front to rear triggers sending both barrels down range simultaneously! That rattled his fillings!
    If a wolf can take down a deer from either flank, does that make him bambidextrous?

I built a custom 375 H&H elk rifle back when synthetic stocks were just coming into their own. The rifle weighed about 8 pounds with the scope and a full magazine yet the recoil was quite tolerable. The high heel of the stock about in line with the bore, put the recoil into the shoulder instead of over the top. Made a world of difference. A 1937 Remington Model 30 express in 30-06 with a droopy butt stock recoiled so ferociously that I abandoned the idea of 'keeping it original' and restocked it after the first range visit. The worse kicking rifle?? My old Remington Model 788 in 44 magnum. Absolutely brutal.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    For years I have wondered just why the straight case of the 458 Win Mag produces so much recoil. It's plain horrible especially prone which of course was required by those wonderful experts at Bisley ranges.
    've owned 375 H&H and 416 Rem Mag's for over 10 years and shot both alot in both bolt actions and Ruger #1's !

Also did all the load work and sight in's for my buddies CZ550 375 H&H , 416 Rigby and 505 Gibbs . All from the bench none of that standing bench crap many do with double rifles .

Anyway about 2 or 3 years agao I got a good deal on a circa 70's LNIB Ruger #1H in 458 WIN MAG , had dies etc and made up some loads with 400 grainers and 510 grainers . That gun with iron sights from the bench would keep three at 50 yards in about an inch . However ............ after one shot it three times they wouldn't want to see it again the rest of the day !
    That load of RL-22 and the Hornady 510 grain RN SP was very accurate but also a little harsh . To me it was a good bit worse then the 505 Gibbs .

Needless to say I still have the Ruger #1H;s in 375 H&H and 416 Rem Mag but the 458 Win Mag went down the road PDQ . Now I've gooten a bunch of Barnes 450 TSX bullets so I'm kinda thinking I need another Ruger in 458 Win Mag

One can always load them down a touch , pity I didn't think of that earlier

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    've owned 375 H&H and 416 Rem Mag's for over 10 years and shot both alot in both bolt actions and Ruger #1's !

Also did all the load work and sight in's for my buddies CZ550 375 H&H , 416 Rigby and 505 Gibbs . All from the bench none of that standing bench crap many do with double rifles .

Anyway about 2 or 3 years agao I got a good deal on a circa 70's LNIB Ruger #1H in 458 WIN MAG , had dies etc and made up some loads with 400 grainers and 510 grainers . That gun with iron sights from the bench would keep three at 50 yards in about an inch . However ............ after one shot it three times they wouldn't want to see it again the rest of the day !
    That load of RL-22 and the Hornady 510 grain RN SP was very accurate but also a little harsh . To me it was a good bit worse then the 505 Gibbs .

Needless to say I still have the Ruger #1H;s in 375 H&H and 416 Rem Mag but the 458 Win Mag went down the road PDQ . Now I've gooten a bunch of Barnes 450 TSX bullets so I'm kinda thinking I need another Ruger in 458 Win Mag

One can always load them down a touch , pity I didn't think of that earlier
    Ahhhh c'mon you know the Rigby cartridge makes sense especially in a single shot .

As I said I am still trying to fathom out just why the .458 Win mag is so harsh.