Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Camera, Digital SLR Advice

Camera, Digital SLR Advice

Looking at getting new DSLR camera.

done a fair bit of reading up on several and the new Canon EOS 70D seems like it would cover everything (and more to be honest). I like the fps speed as it will be used at the kids rugby as well as fishing and shooting. Has an option of video mode as well.

Its available with an 18-135mm lens.

Looking for advice from photographers on here regarding that model or its features but also the best place to buy from. They are available on ebay but posted from Hong Kong or the USA. I'm assuming if there was a problem with it then there will be issues in sorting under warranty if purchased from abroad.

​any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Try wex photographic website
    for info and reviews ephotozine in my opinion you cant go wrong with the 70D
    Regards
    Paul

You won't go far wrong with any of the main fews camera bodies these days, it's the lenses that's the main difference. As for buying from Hong Kong, the difference in cost can make a huge difference. I bought a canon7d brand new with a 24-105 L lens for 999 delivered. It took only 3 days to arrive and has been faultless. If there are issues then yes I would have to send it back for warranty, but the cost of shipping would not be much more than shipping inside the uk

Brian, you won't go wrong with any of the major brands really, a bit like top end scopes they all do the job well just down to personal choice. I'm just about to buy myself a Nikon D7100, I already have Nikons so have lenses just need to get a new body. As has been pointed out it is the lenses that make the difference, the kit lenses are good enough to get you going, it can be expensive getting better equipped (just like stalking) and the camera will keep you busy for long enough, if you are not used to a DSLR it can be quite a steep learning curve involved but it can all be done incrementally via menu from fully automated point and shoot to full manual. You should get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

I spend a lot of time with cameras and lenses and even more time trawling the net to buy s/h gear both Canon digital and film. When buying in from abroad, especially from the USA our good ol' Special Relationship partner you should drop your breeks ready to be processed by HMRC with VAT, import charges and admin charges which can take the shine right off what seemed like a good deal.

Because you get shafted for the special relationship I won't buy from the USA other than in very unusual circumstances but the Far East seems to slip under the radar at HMRC. Use a reputable site with built-in buyer protection such as Amazon, the Bay of E etc.

Camera gear is a bit like rifle gear in many respects. Lenses and bodies come in a range of qualities, even from each maker and selling and buying second hand is much the same. Canon's range works like this: Pro body = single digit so EOS 7D, Semi-pro or pro-sumer = double digit so EOS 70D, consumer unit = triple digit so EOS 700D. Got that?

Be certain that you want to buy new rather than pre-owned. There are still plenty of professional camera outlets up and down the UK where the staff know what they're talking about and aren't just interested in "monkeys selling units to numpties". Don't expect this level of product knowledge and experience from the usual retail park suspects though.

There is more to life than Canon and Nikon but these two are really the market leaders and will have the long lenses which you might start to get an itch for.

HKBNS have been around for some time which counts for something, this chap comes with my personal recommendation:
    http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/kerso&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID&_trksid=p3984 .m1543.l2533

I'm sure you've though of this but...

An SLR can be a pain to carry and the best camera for taking any photo is the one you have with you at the time. So before you buy just be sure that you are willing to carry a much bigger camera around with you as there are many pocket sized "system" type cameras that can produce results very close to SLR quality but that you might be more likely to have in your pocket on the day.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Looking at getting new DSLR camera.

done a fair bit of reading up on several and the new Canon EOS 70D seems like it would cover everything (and more to be honest). I like the fps speed as it will be used at the kids rugby as well as fishing and shooting. Has an option of video mode as well.

Its available with an 18-135mm lens.

Looking for advice from photographers on here regarding that model or its features but also the best place to buy from. They are available on ebay but posted from Hong Kong or the USA. I'm assuming if there was a problem with it then there will be issues in sorting under warranty if purchased from abroad.

​any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Brian don't touch imported cameras if something goes wrong with it you have to send any canon camera back to its country of purchase canon uk won't even touch it .try Calumet there good at what the do and know there products .

Calumet Photographic -Digital SLR cameras, Lenses, Studio Lighting, Accessories, Digital Workflow

I don't mind buying from abroad, but limit myself to things that are cheap and where it isn't the end of the world if they go wrong, or worse, never arrive. Spending the thick end of a grand on an electronic item with moving parts, I'd want somewhere to take it to if it goes wrong and that peace of mind is worth something to me.

I don't pretend to be an expert on DSLR's but from what I have and other people's I've seen, they'll all do the job handsomely. It'll be down to personal taste, so handling what you want in a shop before you buy also has merit.

Me personally I wouldn't buy from abroad, just my opinion!

​Speak to the guys at London Camera Exchange.

London Camera Exchange

They will advise you on what you need rather than what they would like to sell you.

As for the Canon DSLR's, I love em', I own a Canon 5d MkIII but did start out with a Canon 500d and progressed up from there to a 60d, then the 5d.

You'll not go wrong with Canon or Nikon, it's just down to personal preference I suppose.

Pleased you asked about this as I am thinking of buying a eos camera but not sure what I need.

​regards chris