Thread: STAFFS HERE

STAFFS HERE

Been stalking for around 12 years now...Have just moved up to .308 recently after using a Tikka .243 before that,felt that I needed a bit more stopping power and having planned a trip to Africa I bought a Steyr Pro Hunter fitted with a T8 and use Sako 123g rounds which i find fly fast and flat and hit hard,I shoot mainly reds where I am but have shot a lot of fallow in the past.
    Based on the Staffs/derbys border.
    I do a bit of beating/picking up.....basically I get out as much as I can without freaking the missus out!!

Cheers!

Welcome to the site. I think most of us are in the same boat regarding keeping the good lady happy

welcome to the site mate,you sound like your from my neck of the woods.not many of us on here from this area but one or two are starting to show up.im sure you will enjoy it on here.

not far away!

Hi just wondering wot the bullets are ur using in the 308? and who supplies u with them?
    cheers

Yetidude,
    Im using Sako 123g gamepoint rounds,I find them a really flat round and they group well through the Steyr,I have always used Sako rounds in .222 .243 and now the .308.
    I buy them in Livens and if they havent got any I use Melbourn tackle and gun.
    If anything my only gripe is that they over penetrate on a heart/lung shot in my opinion,I always make sure I have a safe backstop when taking a shot,usualy an earth bank and when its dry it amazes me how far the bullet travels as you can see a cloud of dust on the bank.
    Very little carcase damage and when taking the odd neck shot they are devestating.
    Ive tried various heavier rounds but out to 400 yards the Sako's hold their own.
    Very tempted to have a go at home loading though if anyone reading this has got any kit for sale?

Cheers

Keith

Hi Keith..

Moving up myself from a .243 to a Steyr Pro Hunter in 308 and having played with a few rounds through it, not unsurprisingly i also chose the Sako 123g SP which in my opinion suited the rifle best

Welcome to the site fella

ATB

Terry

hi killer welcome
    what is g bate gun shop like in staffs or can you recommend anyone in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by killer
    Yetidude,
    Im using Sako 123g gamepoint rounds,I find them a really flat round and they group well through the Steyr,I have always used Sako rounds in .222 .243 and now the .308.
    I buy them in Livens and if they havent got any I use Melbourn tackle and gun.
    If anything my only gripe is that they over penetrate on a heart/lung shot in my opinion,I always make sure I have a safe backstop when taking a shot,usualy an earth bank and when its dry it amazes me how far the bullet travels as you can see a cloud of dust on the bank.
    Very little carcase damage and when taking the odd neck shot they are devestating.
    Ive tried various heavier rounds but out to 400 yards the Sako's hold their own.
    Very tempted to have a go at home loading though if anyone reading this has got any kit for sale?

Cheers

Keith
    mmm wonder if my ssg will like this light load? gunna have to get sum me tinks!

gelert,i find liverns in burton to be a good shop to visit,not let me down on anything yet,only thing for me its about 40mins away,or if your into loading your own theres mike norris near newport shropsire,(brock and norris)