Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any ex-army smocks available in plain drab?

Any ex-army smocks available in plain drab?

Looking for a cheap jacket and like the army smock types but don't really want to go for dpm or flecktarn, can you get them in just plain drab green or similar? Everything I've looked for seems to be a variation of camo. I like the utility, and cheap price, of the jackets but would prefer something plain.

I currently only have a battered old barbour which is a bluey green sort of colour, would like something a little less stiff and likely to blend in.

Cheers.

There are plenty of foreign military combat jackets about in OD, but British smocks (apart from the old NBC smocks) in OD are pretty rare as they switched to DPM about 40 years ago.

Take a look for Austrian surplus gear, some of that is pretty good. I used to have an Austrian surplus goretex smock that was excellent, and a mate has a goretex lined Austrian combat jacket that he's very pleased with. It's usually cheap as chips too.

If it's not an actual military issue smock that you are after, there are plenty of options out there.

For example Arktis have their Ark Air Range on Ebay (90 for windproof or 115 for goretex)

On the lower end of the price scale there are the Mil-Tech smocks (about 40-50]. You may find my review of interest: http://www.arrse.co.uk/content/1320-review-mil-tec-lightweight-smock-trousers.html

Thanks for all the replies, very useful.

Coarach: you seem to have tried most of the different camo's. I saw your reviews but the pics are offline. That olive 'sas' smock looks very good. However, If I did decide to go with camo (you could get 2 or 3 jackets for the price of a plain one), would you recommend flecktarn, dpm or mtp for general mixed woodland/countryside bunny bashing and basic stalking, or does it not really matter? I understand deer don't really see camo compared to the amount you move etc.

Genuine German Army Flecktarn Parka | eBay

or

Camo Jacket, British Army Woodland DPM Windproof Combat Smock, Grade Two | eBay

or Windproof Mtp Smock, Size 180/96.....Brand New/never Worn. | eBay

​Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_magicfingers View Post
    would you recommend flecktarn, dpm or mtp for general mixed woodland/countryside bunny bashing and basic stalking,
    I think you are correct in the sense that the cammo pattern doesn't matter much compared to your behaviour - if you wander about waving your arms in the air then they will see you no matter what.

Deer are supposed not to have good eyesight but I'm totally convinced that if you sit still sika will spot you at 350 yards unless you take measures to avoid this and so I believe that good cammo patterns can give you a little bit of an edge and so are probably worthwhile. As you say the other advantage is that you can pick up a great jacket which is ideal for stalking for 10ish.

My personal view is that the new MTP pattern is really very good for most general stalking. In dark commercial woodland then DPM might have the edge but as most of us stalk rides and woodland edges I suspect most stalkers are on the "lighter" ground a lot of the time. I also believe that many cammo patterns are actually too dark for the ground we spend time on. I have no direct experience of the Flecktarn parkas and so can't comment on how well they might work but can only imagine that if you can get a decent one they it will do your job well.

When it comes to buying windproof smocks keep in mind that there are a LOT of them for sale so don't pay anything like big money for them. Keep watching for ones in your size with a starting bid of 99p or some other low figure. Then bid something in the 10 - 15 region and if you don't win move on to another one. It will take you a few weeks but eventually you will get one for that sort of money.

Another point worth making is that you can wash waterproofing into the smocks which makes them "fairly" waterproof and in truth they will be good enough for most stalking on most days. However if you want to be 100% waterproof then get a DPM or Flecktarn Gore-Tex jacket and wear it UNDER the windproof smock. This may sound like a crazy thing to suggest but it means you are 100% waterproof but you keep all your pockets and their contents and also the smock reduces the noise that a totally waterproof layer might make. I bought a German Flecktarn Gore-Tex layer as they were the least expensive at the time and paid 13 for it but they seem to have gone up in price recently and now there doesn't seem much to choose between the Flecktarn and DPM options. Be aware that the rumour is that the new MTP Gore-Tex lightweight jackets are not working very well so you might want to avoid those.

For stalking I think that this solution is the best I've come across - I have a lot of jackets including some of the "big money" ones but the windproof smocks with the addition of the Gore-Tex layer on a very wet day are what I wear when stalking through choice. There may be better solutions, but I haven't found one yet.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Would a 1950 Pattern Smock Combat suit you Sir?

I wore them throughout my '60s TA and regular army service.

They were not great, apart from the workmanship, and their magnificence as blotting paper.

The Ruperts and Rodneys got round it by private purchase of Ventile kit.

Except for the Cavalry officers who wore Barbour, obviously.
    Last edited by charadam; 21-10-2013 at 23:14.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Quote Originally Posted by charadam View Post
    Would a 1950 Pattern Smock Combat suit you Sir?

I wore them throughout my '60s TA and regular army service.

They were not great, apart from the workmanship, and their magnificence as blotting paper.

The Ruperts and Rodneys got round it by private purchase of Ventile kit.

Except for the Cavalry officers who never left the mess, obviously.
    sorted that for you