Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee loader batch two results.

Lee loader batch two results.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	33747Click image for larger version. 

Views:	60 
Size:	230.2 KB 
ID:	33748Just finished testing the second batch of lee loader reloads and have to say it's pretty impressive in the 243, the 30-06 isn't quite so impressive but I'm not to worried as i am just messing about with an old box of 170 gr noslers that are no longer made so they are shooting at more than acceptable accuracy for stalking so will fine tune the 06 when I get a more up to date bullet (open to suggestions on this!)

All groups were shot from the top of a stone dyke resting on a rolled up jacket with the target at 104 yards (ranged with rangefinder)

the first set of targets were shot with pretty much zero wind but the wind then picked up (from left to right) so they were consistently to the right on the second set. (The ones with black dots)

243's on the top row and 30/06 on the bottom, all squares are 1".

the 243 is just under 3/4 inch average (the bigger group was a tester of sticks) and the 30/06 is around 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 which as I said is fine for what I need until I get a new batch.

the control group was shot with PPU 180 SP's just to see what they were doing - the big surprise was the difference in felt recoil and sound between the factory and reloaded 06 rounds, I had 46.6 gr varget but the factory round must have been a far higher load.

i guess the next step is to move the 243's OAL up to 67mm and see what it does.

well impressed with the lee loader and proves it is possible to produce consistent rounds withough all the reloading kit I sold off.

Any thoughts/suggestions on changes welcome.

​regards

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	49 
Size:	205.1 KB 
ID:	33743Click image for larger version. 

Views:	48 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	33742Click image for larger version. 

Views:	48 
Size:	250.8 KB 
ID:	33744Click image for larger version. 

Views:	45 
Size:	271.9 KB 
ID:	33745Click image for larger version. 

Views:	40 
Size:	276.4 KB 
ID:	33746

regards,
    gixer
    Last edited by gixer1; 20-10-2013 at 12:34.

There's nothing wrong with those groups, well done.
    I used one of them for years and did quite well with it.
    It was only in later years as more and more kit became available that I started to get a bit fussy and now sometimes wonder why I bothered to change.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    There's nothing wrong with those groups, well done.
    I used one of them for years and did quite well with it.
    It was only in later years as more and more kit became available that I started to get a bit fussy and now sometimes wonder why I bothered to change.

Thanks emcc,

did you find any noticeable difference in group size between your lee loader and press loaded round accuracy?

regards,
    ​Gixer

When I used the Lee Loader I just scooped the powder level in the dippers and away I went.
    When I got into more sophisticated stuff and started measuring my powder I found my 'scoops worth' was sometimes as much as a couple of grains out either way, usually over, so it proved to me that being 'anal' about re-loading can sometimes be a waste of time.
    It made no difference to my accuracy for shooting Deer, it might have if I was shooting at long range or entering a competition of which I did neither.
    The only real difference between 'the old way' and my new stuff is time when doing quantities.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    When I used the Lee Loader I just scooped the powder level in the dippers and away I went.
    When I got into more sophisticated stuff and started measuring my powder I found my 'scoops worth' was sometimes as much as a couple of grains out either way, usually over, so it proved to me that being 'anal' about re-loading can sometimes be a waste of time.
    It made no difference to my accuracy for shooting Deer, it might have if I was shooting at long range or entering a competition of which I did neither.
    The only real difference between 'the old way' and my new stuff is time when doing quantities.
    thanks, I have been weighing my scoops and trickling to make sure they are exact.

regards,
    ​Gixer

Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    thanks, I have been weighing my scoops and trickling to make sure they are exact.

regards,
    ​Gixer
    If that makes you happy then carry on. If I am doing just a small batch for testing then I often weigh every one. Once I decide on which powder charge weight to use I then if possible use the scoop checking 1 in 5 and if consistent then 1 in 10.

regards,
    ​Gixer
    That's the way that I do it Mate. It might be a bit more time consuming or "a pain in the a**e" but it (Rightly or wrongly) gives me more confidence in what I am doing. I'm 100% happy with what I load with my Lee Loaders in .222 and .243 and the consistent accuracy that it gives me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    If that makes you happy then carry on. If I am doing just a small batch for testing then I often weigh every one. Once I decide on which powder charge weight to use I then if possible use the scoop checking 1 in 5 and if consistent then 1 in 10.
    i actually don't mind it, in fact I find it quite therapeutic measuring each on!

i have to say I must be rubbish at dipping as the variance is about a grain between dips!

regards,
    Gixer

According to those "experts" who write the articles the way to use a dipper it to push it into the powder by sinking it in and latting the powder flow over the edge and fill it then wipe level with a bit of stiff card. I use an old business card.

I also use a ceramic pot to hold the powder which gives enough depth to do this.

If one pushes the scoop trough the powder the charge does vary and will be heavier than sinking it into the powder.

​Hope that is helpful.

did you find any noticeable difference in group size between your lee loader and press loaded round accuracy?
    Have to say I didn't.
    But then when I get inside a reasonable hunting accuracy load I stop there (you have already done that BTW!)

I use the press more often than the loader now......due to noise and temperature
    its too noisy to do it in the house with the kids in bed and the shed is f'in cold in winter!

I still use the dippers though and prefer the seating with the loader, especially with flat base bullets as they are stabilised