Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger 10/22 problems

Ruger 10/22 problems

Hi I bought a ruger 10/22 yesterday complete with scope and silencer yesterday from a gun shop. It is only a month old I tried to zero it yesterday and after shimming the rail at the rear I managed to get it on the target at 25yds, before shimming it was 18 inch low at 25yds. I then extended it to 50yds and carried on but the best 5 shot group I could get was about 8 inch. Last night I checked everything was tight, and that the stock was on correctly. Today I tried again but it will not group well at all instead it makes patterns usually quite narrow but very tall the best I could get was 8 inch high and 4 inch wide, and I had one 14 inch high and 6 inch wide and a few in between these. This was from a lying down position I have put over 150 bullets through it and it is useless. I have tried it without the mod on and it s no better. And I have tried a different scope as I thought it was the scope.
    Can anyone offer advice as to what could be the problem.

I also have a CZ 527 .223 and I have no problems with that I get 1 inch groups at 100yds whilst resting on the land rover bonnet using factory ammo.

Got to wonder why it was for sale second hand if the previous owner only had it a month? Maybe they had problems with it which were not resolved? My first thoug was the scope, but you've already eliminated that.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Got to wonder why it was for sale second hand if the previous owner only had it a month? Maybe they had problems with it which were not resolved? My first thoug was the scope, but you've already eliminated that.
    I think you are correct the previous owner more than likly couldn't get it to shoot right either. I rang the shop yesterday 3 hours after buying it to say it would not group they told me to try some different ammo I did today but it was still no use.
    the worst thing is I have wasted money on it and now I need to send my fac back to get a variation on it before I can get another gun which costs me money again as well as a few weeks without a gun. I am probably going to end up 70 out of pocket with bullets fuel and variation. That's if they give me my money back on it. Plus money is tight at the moment with a baby due in 7 weeks.

A ha ! The old 10-22 ? Which model do you have ?

Those groups are wrong it should shoot better.
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    A ha ! The old 10-22 ? Which model do you have ?

Those groups are wrong it should shoot better.
    It the standard carbine I know they are not the most accurate gun but I should be able to keep a group inside 2 inch. This won't keep the group on an a4 piece of paper

I had a similar issue with a 10/22 and a semi-customised one at that. After cleaning excessively, trying different scopes, with and without moderator and different makes of ammo (>300 rounds in total), I gave up and sent it back. Groups sizes started off around 3-inches and although I did get down to 1-1.5 inches in the end, they still moved all around the target. A friend has a S&W M&P 15-22 and has seen groups sizes vary between 1 and 5 inches just between different brands (we both found CCI Segmented performed best in both rifles). Although semi-autos will never be as accurate as bolt action's, looking up online at the time, 1-1.5 inches is a more than reasonable expectation at 50m. Any more than that and something is surely wrong.

I'd go with ammunition.
    Mine has poor groups with Winchester/Eley but groups tighter with CCI - 2inch and less

hi there,
    i brought my 10/22 new about 10 years ago, and ive put some like 3000 rounds throught it, it has its faults but yes it should group around 1'' at 80-100 yards.
    you should take it back if its only a month old, or try contacting the importors as it must still be warranty as well.
    i normally use either remington/cci or wincester ammo, all run through well, it doent like eley through.
    Last edited by simon1979; 20-10-2013 at 21:18.

a friend of mine had a 10/22 with the same problem. we tried everything as well as him chucking money at replacement parts to try to isolate the problem.

Check the moderator for signs of lead hitting the baffles.

Especially if the mod was sold as "special for this rifle".

I had a Voere years ago that shot incredibly well for a SA, then had it shortened and screwcut.

​Without mod - 1/2" groups all day. With the "specially fitted mod" I never managed a group of any kind.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".