Thread: White fallow buck in Lancashire

White fallow buck in Lancashire

Has anyone in the North West lost a white fallow buck?

We had one turn up in our garden on Saturday morning (19th Oct) - he had evidently been on the estate for a couple of days but kept travelling and was shot Saturday afternoon about 5 miles south of us. He was reportedly not very wary of people so I'm not sure if he was a park escapee or just 'rutty.'

He is the first fallow ever spotted on the estate and we don't know of any white fallow within 50 miles. I guess he was travelling in pursuit of does as the rut should be in full swing now.

I live in the south west corner of the forest of bowland.
    Nick

That might be why you don't see many , they get shot before they can breed !

Quote Originally Posted by highseat6.5 View Post
    my thoughts exactly !

Quote Originally Posted by highseat6.5 View Post
    There has been white fallow considerably closer to you than 50 mile radius but as highseat 6.5 says no one will give them the opportunity to establish.

I don't have the full facts as to why he was shot but I fully agree, yes - on the face of it; it was a shame, he certainly would have been safe if he'd stayed on our place.

Indeed fallow bucks do tend to get targeted more than most.
    Nick

We never shoot the white ones first if in a group as it makes them easier to see when in the woods.

ive seen a white buck not far from you last week but we are leaving them hoping to build up in numbers, same as the reds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0081.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	258.0 KB 
ID:	33858

I like to see the white ones, i have a few good white bucks on the ground a fair number of doe's. I only shoot for the larder so im very selective on what i shoot.

the bucks look very ghostly when there stepping out of the fog early in the morning