Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flex in a Howa stock

Flex in a Howa stock

Hi, My mate has a very heavy barrel Howa 1500 blued with the basic plastic and rubber over moulded Hogue stock in 22-250 that shoots really well off one of the big full length shooting bags but all over the place off a bipod.

On looking at the stock there is loads of flex in the fore end so we are looking to try to do something about it by filling it with something and re bedding including about an inch and half of the barrel.

Is is there anyone who has done this to a howa stock to stabalise it? What was the end result and what did you use in the fore stock? We intend to use acraglass gel to full length bed it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by night stalker View Post
    Hi, My mate has a very heavy barrel Howa 1500 blued with the basic plastic and rubber over moulded Hogue stock in 22-250 that shoots really well off one of the big full length shooting bags but all over the place off a bipod.

On looking at the stock there is loads of flex in the fore end so we are looking to try to do something about it by filling it with something and re bedding including about an inch and half of the barrel.

Is is there anyone who has done this to a howa stock to stabalise it? What was the end result and what did you use in the fore stock? We intend to use acraglass gel to full length bed it.

Thanks
    before you spend a load of time and money, take a look at the Boyds laminate stocks, cheap and easy to get, fit from the box and/or glass bed at your discretion
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

I use a Howa 1500 with the Hogue standard stock and when shopping around for the best price was told by several retailers (who were selling them, you wonder why if they are that bad...) that they were 'no good' due to the forend having some flex.
    My Howa 1500 Sporter in .243 is very accurate off bags, stiks and bipod and holds its own against 'custom' rifles at 4 or 5 times the price.
    I find it hard to believe that the accuracy of a heavy barrel will be efffected by a few mm. flex of soft rubber that doesn't actually touch, or hardly touches, the heavy barrel.
    Maybe you should diplomatically suggest to your mate that his shooting technique could be causing the issue, not the stock?
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

I had howa with a bell and Carlson stock best value for money rifle I've ever had and shot real well part ex d it for custom and let it go to cheap wish still had it as spare

Hi. It might be his first rifle but his shooting defo isn't to blame as this was my first though so I shot it for him. I put 20 rounds of Hornady 50 v-max factory through it using a Harris bipod (shoots that ammo great off the big bag) and couldn't manage an inch group as I would get 2 out by about 2.5" in every 5 shot group.

If you stand the rifle on the bench using a bipod but no back bag and wiggle it side to side holding it by the rear scope mount the fore end swing all over.

Rick

the fore-end on mine used to flex and touch the barrel slightly (standard sporter), so I took a dremmel to the stock! theres a mark all round it for varmint barrels, I took it to that line and filled the bottom of it with resin - it doesn't touch now!

That's why I wouldn't buy one. Nor a T3 lite.

Quote Originally Posted by cambsman View Post
    That's why I wouldn't buy one. Nor a T3 lite.
    not a real reason in my opinion :P
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    before you spend a load of time and money, take a look at the Boyds laminate stocks, cheap and easy to get, fit from the box and/or glass bed at your discretion
    Hi Rick this is the answer . 140 to your door I got one for my 204 would let you try as I live not far from you but your mates got the heavy barrel and mine a spoter barrel atb craig

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    Thats what I did with my first one(223) and it cured the flexing problem. My second one (6.5x55) doesn't have the problem. I don't know if its because its a long action or whether they've modified the stocks but its fine.