Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations For A Quality 308 Rifle

Recommendations For A Quality 308 Rifle

Hiya
    I'm looking for recommendations which would help me to decide which quality 308 rifle to buy.
    I have looked at Sauer, Sako and Blaser amongst others, please feel free to comment with both positive and negative comments to help with my decision.
    Also I would be glad to hear any suggestions for other alternatives.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by limey View Post
    Hiya
    I'm looking for recommendations which would help me to decide which quality 308 rifle to buy.
    I have looked at Sauer, Sako and Blaser amongst others, please feel free to comment with both positive and negative comments to help with my decision.
    Cheers
    If I was starting again, I would buy a Blaser with a thumb hole stock. I've spent a lot of money on Sauer 90, Ruger MKII's, Sako 75, Mannlicher Pro-Hunter and semi-custom builds over the last twenty years or so.

I've met a couple of folk with Blasers recently, one well off and coming into stalking later in life and the other who has had an evolving gun cupboard like myself. The Blasers do the business for both of them.

Regards

JCS

Limey
    If you search the posts on here you will see that there is very little between these makes apart from personal preference. And, personal preference is what it all boils down to ... so find yourself a Rfd with a range where you can test fire the rifles you are interested in and make your own choice. These are top end rifles so that's a lot of cash to part with to find that you don't get on with the calibre and/or rifle. Any of these rifles with the right ammunition will perform fine, the question is whether you can with whichever one you choose? So my advice would be always try and test fire any rifle that you are interested in before committing to purchasing one.
    .308RWS

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    JMO:

all the ones you have mentioned are so over priced for what you need its silly.

i have a shooting buddy who has a 308 tikka t3 and it shoots like a demon,

after all the deer will have no clue as to what you have just shot it with, but your wallet will.

bob.

ps: spend the left over cash on a cracking scope and out shoot yourself.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Limey

I've spent a lot of money on rifles, I might have spent less if I had read a bit more first. Recently I've read the following:
    http://www.ballisticstudies.com/shop...k+Version.html
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2d.rifles.htm
    Regards
    JCS

sako 85 s/s, zeiss victory hd scope and ase ultra northstar mod, perfect for shooting all deer species and boar in .308, wish i had bought it when i first started out instead of wasting money chopping and changing, best advice is to buy something you like and feels good in the hand and well balanced

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Limey

I've spent a lot of money on rifles, I might have spent less if I had read a bit more first. Recently I've read the following:
    http://www.ballisticstudies.com/shop...k+Version.html
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2d.rifles.htm
    Regards
    JCS
    Thanks for the providing the links.
    It looks like I have some reading to do before I try to make my decision.
    Regards
    Limey

Quote Originally Posted by limey View Post
    Hiya
    Cheers

Wow cracking post!!!" Now Ive owned 2 x 308's. But here is my 2 pennies worth
    A very good mate has owned Blaser, PRS and a Callum Ferguson full custom. Ive owned a Midland and at present a Winchester Coyote. Now my mates cracking and Im so green eyed monster Callum Ferguson puts bullet into bullet hole. His PRS clover leaved as his Blaser did. And whats his second favorite!?!

This
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130914_154404.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	33813

The old modified Winchester Coyote. Whilst money can and will buy a good shooting rifle. A good sound cheaper rifle with a little work cam do the samr. Your money mate you make your mind up

Nutty

Not sure if it's been mentioned but what type of shooting will you be mainly doing?

Pure stalking rifle ? More target then stalking?

For a stalking gun

I would recommend getting one with a detachable magazine - its so much more convieniant and easily to make safe when crossing obstacles etc.

Otherwise the rest is personal preference.
    The site linked to above - ballistic studies - the author has a good book and he sums up a number of the current production rifles available to the hunter. It's his opinion but he makes a good point on many.

The rifle you get will depend on your budget too, I would buy a top end scope then buy a nice gun such as a tikka t3 light if I was doing it again. Tikka t3 does it all that a hunter would need. The scope is the important bit as well a the mounts to the gun don't scrimp on either.

Also you need to ask yourself what you are going to do with it.

I love my Blaser R93 because it breaks down easily for travel, it is easy to keep clean and you can just shake the water out of it and it is a great tool for the stalking that I do. It is a very efficient and effective solution for my shooting requirements. On the other hand you may not need to travel with your rifle and may not be keen crawling about in the driving rain and so on. Plus the Blaser is expensive for a rifle and ugly as well. I wouldn't change mine as it is perfect for my needs, but your needs may be very different.

On the other hand a mate bought a Parker Hale in 308 for a few hundred quid. He put some work into doing up the stock and had it looking lovely, much nicer than my plastic Blaser. It didn't shoot quite as well as the Blaser does but it was good enough and he doesn't travel with it nor does he take it out in the wet or crawl through a new sitka spruce plantation in the driving rain with it. It really is a great rifle for his needs and it cost next to nothing when compared with mine. If you went the Parker Hale route you'd have a lot of cash left over to spend on stalking and, in the end, that's what it is about and not gathering up toys, despite what you might think on reading this forum.

I also know a chap with a Sauer that is a wonderful rifle and looks really great. It shoots well, as you'd expect, and better than the Parker Hale but I'd not want to take it stalking, though I think the Sauer can also be "taken down" for travel. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Sauer but it is not for me.

So, the answer isn't so much what someone else might recommend but is more based upon your exact requirements. If your requirements are the same as mine - an accurate, trouble free, excellent right out of the box tool for doing a job that is easy to live with and travel with then the Blaser is worth the money and a great solution however my money says your requirements aren't the same as mine.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/