Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .223 Rem General Hunting Round

.223 Rem General Hunting Round

Hello folks,

Am looking at getting a .223 Rem bolt action mainly for using the inexpensive FMJ the club gets.

But, I would like the option of having a "general-purpose" (cringe) hunting round that would be adequate for foxes and small deer (CWD / Munties / Scottish Roe).

The rifle will have a 1:9 twist so heavier bullets shouldn't be a problem.

Please let me know your thoughts on factory rounds and also for handloading.

Thanks in advance,

Scrummy

I'm using Hornaday 55grain ballistic tips in my Sako 75 stainless / laminate. Never tried anything else as these have never been a problem. Accurate and nothing has ever walked away. Fox & roe
    Wingy

Nosler Shotz, (55 grain soft nose).
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by scrumbag View Post
    Hello folks,

Am looking at getting a .223 Rem bolt action mainly for using the inexpensive FMJ the club gets.

But, I would like the option of having a "general-purpose" (cringe) hunting round that would be adequate for foxes and small deer (CWD / Munties / Scottish Roe).

The rifle will have a 1:9 twist so heavier bullets shouldn't be a problem.

Please let me know your thoughts on factory rounds and also for handloading.

Thanks in advance,

Scrummy
    I prefer 55 gr soft point Sako Gameheads in my Sako 85 and they group great one round does it all.

I've not used factory but for handloads I do the following flavours.
    2 bullets I've used to good effect are 63gr SMP (flatbase) and 65gr Gameking (boat tail) from Sierra, both loaded over N140 and both roughly the same load as the 69gr SMK paper puncher.

For deer it's got to be the 65gr Gameking, less frangible than the SMP and accurate as an accurate thing.

Isn't the Swiss FMJ a pretty hot round? Also what bullet weight does it arrive with?

David.

hi im curently shooting with 223rem using 53g norma soft points the riflle is howa 1500 1;12 twist i also used 55 g rem soft point shot lots of roe and foxes with it with good results.

My 1-9 remmy loved the hornady 60g tap ammo
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

The Swiss GP90 or 5.6x45 Swiss is actually very close to NATO spec 5.56x45. It shoots a 63gr FMJ and is quite hot and well made as the Swiss Army qualification distance is 300m. Am just praying I can find something that will shoot to the same POI...

ATB,

Scrummy

Hello folks, any thoughts on the 55gr Norma Oryx?

Easier to get here than some of the suggestions above (not that I have any issues with the rounds, just what is locally available).

Anyone use anything from RWS?