Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Scope???

What Scope???

Hi everyone. In the next few months I will be buying a new .308 rifle.
    Im unsure what size scope to buy. I want it for shooting down the shooting range where we shoot up to 1000 yards.
    But I also want to use the rifle for deer stalking in the near future.
    I'm new to this game.
    Thanks everyone.

Unlimited amount available best enter the 's you can afford this will make it easier for folk to give you an answer chap
    cheers
    ​norma

Whats the budget? Thats the biggest question.

Used 8x56 Schmidt & bender or 7x50 Swarovski
    Last edited by splash; 22-10-2013 at 15:07.

Quote Originally Posted by 0053cat View Post
    Under 500
    Around 500 buys you a good second hand variable Leupold. In German optics you are limited to fixed power second hand (6X42 or 8X56 etc).

New for under 500, I think you'll be limited to airgun oriented scopes which will work but you need to know what you are looking at.

hang on and buy a lifetime scope like a variable Zeiss Duralyt which isn't that much more. You will thank yourself for it for many many years to come after.

Quote Originally Posted by 0053cat View Post
    Hi everyone. In the next few months I will be buying a new .308 rifle.
    Im unsure what size scope to buy. I want it for shooting down the shooting range where we shoot up to 1000 yards.
    But I also want to use the rifle for deer stalking in the near future.
    I'm new to this game.
    Thanks everyone.
    Forgive me if you are aware of this but those aims might be difficult to combine in a rifle.
    Target shooting requires a heavy barrel and will be less than ideal as a Stalking rifle due to weight.
    A Stalking rifle with a light barrel will be prone to overheat if you use it for Target work.
    You may be aware of this but I wasn't sure.

If the OP is just wanting to use the .308 for leisurely target shooting, there’s no reason why a sporter barrel of say 22” to 26” would not be a perfectly suitable option, as long as you’re not letting off shot after shot after shot, or expecting to go an win F Class competitions.

There’s always the choice of a semi-sporter barrel of course!

I’m sure there are many experienced target shooters out there who’d happily shoot a basic hunting rifle against an inexperienced shooter who has ‘all the kit’ for target shooting....and win ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Naseby View Post
    Forgive me if you are aware of this but those aims might be difficult to combine in a rifle.
    Target shooting requires a heavy barrel and will be less than ideal as a Stalking rifle due to weight.
    A Stalking rifle with a light barrel will be prone to overheat if you use it for Target work.
    You may be aware of this but I wasn't sure.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    If the OP is just wanting to use the .308 for leisurely target shooting, there’s no reason why a sporter barrel of say 22” to 26” would not be a perfectly suitable option, as long as you’re not letting off shot after shot after shot, or expecting to go an win F Class competitions.

There’s always the choice of a semi-sporter barrel of course!

I’m sure there are many experienced target shooters out there who’d happily shoot a basic hunting rifle against an inexperienced shooter who has ‘all the kit’ for target shooting....and win ;-)
    Yes agree to some extent, but I saw 'new member buying a new rifle' and I was just trying to make the OP aware.
    And it may need to be very leisurely target shooting on a hot August afternoon