Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 125grn Hornady SST in 308

125grn Hornady SST in 308

Looking for a bullet for the 308 a bit more frangible than the 150grn Sierra Gamekings and was leaning towards the 125grn BT's which I have used in the past.

then noticed the above on the Hornady website and guess its a relatively new bullet out as hadn't seen it before???

Anyone with any experience on how it performs on deer?

I used them this summer just gone and they were good on roe bucks, most dropped to shot. Not used them on Fallow or Red though, infact I'm going back to 165 game kings now for Reds. I was getting over 2900fps from my SSG which has been shortened so they are quite fast and explosive.

I would think u get a bit of bruising once you have whipped jacket off but couldn't comment to much on this as leave that to the old man most of the time.

S.A shooter Use's 125's don't know if thay are bts he says they are top bullets under 1moa
    i'am just about to try 110hp #2110 sierra's see how i can work them

jamross i use nosler 125bt in my 308 to shoot everything they work a treat on big fallow,i get alot less runners which i need on my ground.

they would be handy on them sika to stop them

i use a laupa case, 46 grain of n135, fed primer , 2.806 OAL out of a 20 inch barrel xbolt, im getting 2960 fps, they are super accurate and the deer dont like them one bit they are true thunderbolts

ive tryed all sorts in my 308 like(150sst/150,180 gamekings) and im sticking with these now for good there superb, plus my game dealer has not complained, just shoot them behind the shoulder , not on the shoulder
    Last edited by 223; 23-10-2013 at 18:22.

Brian I would not go past Nosler 125 BT'S now with regard's to my 308. Very stable round when loaded with N140. Worked really well on all the big species of Deer for me in the last year.

G&C in Selkirk stock them.

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Brian I would not go past Nosler 125 BT'S now with regard's to my 308. Very stable round when loaded with N140. Worked really well on all the big species of Deer for me in the last year.

G&C in Selkirk stock them.
    Thanks for the replies. I'll maybe pop and pick a box up Allan. I've been using 150grn Sierra Gamekings on the stags for the last couple of years which are great in the ribs as damage is very limited but for what I want the bullet to do for rest of the season it needs to expand far more rapidly and cause more damage.

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    shock horror! a highly experienced and professional stalker wants to use rapidly expanding and frangible bullets on deer????!!!!!....... I would of thought you'd of been shot down by now for even suggesting it???!!!, or is it because you're using a .308 and therefore it's deemed ok?? lol.

sorry couldn't resist. Let us know how you get on with the lighter bullets, I have plenty of experience with light bullets in the .270 as does a good friend of mine. We both find no issues at all on any species of deer (light being 100 & 110 grain bullets).

regards

steve

Quote Originally Posted by monarman View Post
    shock horror! a highly experienced and professional stalker wants to use rapidly expanding and frangible bullets on deer????!!!!!....... I would of thought you'd of been shot down by now for even suggesting it???!!!, or is it because you're using a .308 and therefore it's deemed ok?? lol.

sorry couldn't resist. Let us know how you get on with the lighter bullets, I have plenty of experience with light bullets in the .270 as does a good friend of mine. We both find no issues at all on any species of deer (light being 100 & 110 grain bullets).

regards

steve
    They are for shooting them now myself in the neck/head. I was trying to avoid using those two words for fear of the aftermath!!!

I used Nosler 125grn BT bullets in a 308 about 15 years ago but they were severe on roe. I think the construction may have changed since then though?????

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    The lighter more expanding bullets are ideal for your intended purpose in that case...... again, from my own experience and that of others who I know.
    I'm not sure but I think the hornady bullets that we supposedly aren't supposed to use on deer due to their title beginning with V in most cals now have a cannelure which helps hold the bullet together a bit better due to its crimping effect on the jacket to the core, they may well be worth a look. The old style none cannelured ones I used did a sterling job at killing deer.

Quote Originally Posted by monarman View Post
    The lighter more expanding bullets are ideal for your intended purpose in that case...... again, from my own experience and that of others who I know.
    I'm not sure but I think the hornady bullets that we supposedly aren't supposed to use on deer due to their title beginning with V in most cals now have a cannelure which helps hold the bullet together a bit better due to its crimping effect on the jacket to the core, they may well be worth a look. The old style none cannelured ones I used did a sterling job at killing deer.
    The new Hornady 125's though are designated SST so I am assuming they are considered a hunting bullet??? I used to use 100grn Hornady's in the 25-06 for that purpose and they were brilliant performers...