Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lamping deer

Lamping deer

No doubt a controversial question but one I still want to put to the forum.

I am aware that legal deer shooting hours are between 1 hour before sunrise until 1 hour after sunset.
    I am also aware that it is illegal to use lamps to shoot deer.

However, on the assumption that the use of a lamp is generally asumed to be done at night (when it is illegal to shoot deer, between the 1 hour after sunset and 1 hour before sunrise) my question is this:
    What is my position if I use a red LED light during 'deer-legal daylight hours' but when it is in fact starting to get quite dark, for example typically during the last 15-20 Min of 'legal' deer culling hours when working from a high seat in the evening? I generally reach a point where I decide to stop when legally I still have 15-20 min left, as I wouldn't be able to see the difference between a doe or a buck as the light is fading so fast.

I find a small red gunlight such as the new and popular red LED's can help enormously in identifying an animal (male or female) without scaring them away.
    My thinking is that if it helps me to ID the sex/species and place the shot correctly, it is certainly NOT 'unsporty'. But is it legal?
    Those that use NV may also be interested in the responses.

And to those that own scopes and Bino's of Brand names starting with Z, S and S...: Yes, you have a 10-15 min advantage over those who have to make do with lesser Brands, I know, I know....
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Pretty sure it's illegal, but sure you'll get a much more definitive answer from someone else on here.

Can't remember the exact wording but it goes something like Its illegal to use a light-intensifying, heat sensitive or other special device.

This should be interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    No doubt a controversial question but one I still want to put to the forum.

I am aware that legal deer shooting hours are between 1 hour before sunrise until 1 hour after sunset.
    I am also aware that it is illegal to use lamps to shoot deer.

However, on the assumption that the use of a lamp is generally asumed to be done at night (when it is illegal to shoot deer, between the 1 hour after sunset and 1 hour before sunrise) my question is this:
    What is my position if I use a red LED light during 'deer-legal daylight hours' but when it is in fact starting to get quite dark, for example typically during the last 15-20 Min of 'legal' deer culling hours when working from a high seat in the evening? I generally reach a point where I decide to stop when legally I still have 15-20 min left, as I wouldn't be able to see the difference between a doe or a buck as the light is fading so fast.

I find a small red gunlight such as the new and popular red LED's can help enormously in identifying an animal (male or female) without scaring them away.
    My thinking is that if it helps me to ID the sex/species and place the shot correctly, it is certainly NOT 'unsporty'. But is it legal?
    Those that use NV may also be interested in the responses.

And to those that own scopes and Bino's of Brand names starting with Z, S and S...: Yes, you have a 10-15 min advantage over those who have to make do with lesser Brands, I know, I know....
    Erik Hamburger,

"I am aware that legal deer shooting hours are between 1 hour before sunrise until 1 hour after sunset"

Doesn't mean it's compulsory to shoot them. If you can't see to identify then don't shoot. Whether it's poor light, fog/mist or sun glare.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    +1

If you cant see it don't shoot it there will always be next time !

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    +1