Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: watchdog Nissan help with problems

watchdog Nissan help with problems

Nissan hit by Watchdog’s exploding Navara claims

Tuesday, 28 October 2008
    Nissan has been stung by claims on the BBC's Watchdog programme that its Navara pick-up suffers from a fault that causes the engine to explode.
    Several owners of the D22 variant, which was built before August 2006, complained to the consumer affairs show about the problem after their engine blew up whilst they were behind the wheel.
    Following tests by the BBC, a problem with the con-rods and the bearing that propel the drive shaft were discovered. It is thought up to 16,000 vehicles may be affected.
    Nissan insists the problem is not a safety issue but a durability one, although it did extend the warranty on the Navara from three years to five in May after receiving hundreds of complaints about the problem.
    But when Watchdog phoned ten Nissan dealers around the country and told them they had an engine failure on a four-year-old Nissan D22, six out of the ten said they had not heard about an extended warranty.
    In a statement to the BBC Nissan said: "Nissan has openly stated for some time that the durability of a small number of D22 pickup engines, produced before August 2006, have not performed to our exacting standards.
    "As a result, Nissan launched a five-year 93,000 miles extended warranty in May to formalise the support we were already providing to our customers."
    Following the programme the carmaker has also now written to D22 customers affected by the fault.
    Concerned owners should either email Nissan at customer.support_d22@nissan.co.uk or call the company on 01923 899 334.

- See more at: Nissan hit by Watchdog’s exploding Navara claims | Motor Trader Magazine | Motor Industry: News - Jobs - Awards

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
    Nissan hit by Watchdog’s exploding Navara claims

Tuesday, 28 October 2008
    Nissan has been stung by claims on the BBC's Watchdog programme that its Navara pick-up suffers from a fault that causes the engine to explode.
    Several owners of the D22 variant, which was built before August 2006, complained to the consumer affairs show about the problem after their engine blew up whilst they were behind the wheel.
    Following tests by the BBC, a problem with the con-rods and the bearing that propel the drive shaft were discovered. It is thought up to 16,000 vehicles may be affected.
    Nissan insists the problem is not a safety issue but a durability one, although it did extend the warranty on the Navara from three years to five in May after receiving hundreds of complaints about the problem.
    But when Watchdog phoned ten Nissan dealers around the country and told them they had an engine failure on a four-year-old Nissan D22, six out of the ten said they had not heard about an extended warranty.
    In a statement to the BBC Nissan said: "Nissan has openly stated for some time that the durability of a small number of D22 pickup engines, produced before August 2006, have not performed to our exacting standards.
    "As a result, Nissan launched a five-year 93,000 miles extended warranty in May to formalise the support we were already providing to our customers."
    Following the programme the carmaker has also now written to D22 customers affected by the fault.
    Concerned owners should either email Nissan at customer.support_d22@nissan.co.uk or call the company on 01923 899 334.

- See more at: Nissan hit by Watchdog’s exploding Navara claims | Motor Trader Magazine | Motor Industry: News - Jobs - Awards
    Have they still not sorted it up?

Call
    Send SMS
    Add to Skype
    You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

I have just sold my D22, it had 91000 miles on the clock and the only repair that it needed was to replace a propshaft joint at around 80,000 miles.

Nissan never informed me of any potential fault which I think was down to a faulty batch of con rod bolts. Although it did not put me off buying a new D40 I think the lack of a product recall and fitting of new bolts was a major PR blunder by them.

atb Tim

Early D22 Navaras (They were actually called D22 Pickups over here) had the TD25 Engine and didn't suffer from the problems mentioned But later Navaras with the YD25 Engines did, if you have a Navara fitted with the YD25 Engine (Roughly 2002 onwards) that hasn't had the Con rod bolts And Main bearing shells replaced its not a case of IF but WHEN.
    Last edited by Robb; 23-10-2013 at 17:55.

I did my bolts just in case at about 70,000.. Now about 106,000 miles and counting. Hoping to see another 50,000 before I get rid of it.
    ​so far so good. But shouldn't have happened.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

my engine blew up on my 55 plate navara cost me £1700 to fix . been told by lad who fixed it to change oil every 3000 miles and oil filter every 6000 .

They all go bang sooner or later just had one come in on a 54 plate it was not worth fixing cheapest engine we could find was £1000 pickup was worth about 2500 fixed and customer was offered £1000 for it as it was so it went. It is possible to fit the early terrano engine but they are hard to find these days.

Suffolk [North; where the pines and pigs are]
    Two engines blown (at c. 90k miles each) and sold it for £500 scrap (exzpect to see it somewhere given the fella was planning on putting an engine in it)...

Having sold my D22 fortunately this is no longer an issue, but I did get 91,000 trouble free miles out of it.
    I am not sure that every D22 has had this problem. there are quite a few of these still in use locally.

atb Tim