Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Iron sight tips for blind folks??

Iron sight tips for blind folks??

Hey folks,
    My 30.06 has a 6x42 scope that is just fine for the normal stand/waiting at 50+ meters use but is a little clumsy at closer ranges and (for me) probably useless on a drive hunt. Don't want to invest in another optic if I don't have to. Problem with the iron sights is, I need glasses to read/see things close and can't see distances with those glasses on so the back sight is blurred some (front is fine). Anyone else have/had this problem and found a work around?
    Thanks for any tips.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    Hey folks,
    My 30.06 has a 6x42 scope that is just fine for the normal stand/waiting at 50+ meters use but is a little clumsy at closer ranges and (for me) probably useless on a drive hunt. Don't want to invest in another optic if I don't have to. Problem with the iron sights is, I need glasses to read/see things close and can't see distances with those glasses on so the back sight is blurred some (front is fine). Anyone else have/had this problem and found a work around?
    Thanks for any tips.

Dave
    Dave,

Why not "put" a white spot on the relevant part of the rear sight. You then align rear with fore and check out on a 25 metre range to see where POI is.

​Stan

Red dot or holographic or an aperture rearsight.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/sights/pdf/LyC_Sight_Tang.pdf

"Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Quote Originally Posted by charadam View Post
    Red dot or holographic or an aperture rearsight.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/sights/pdf/LyC_Sight_Tang.pdf

tried both and didn't really like them.....
    Will try the dot idea....
    any experience with ghost ring sights? Was just reading that they are supposed to be better for bad eyes than normal peep sights.

Daven,

Try a replacement front sight from here Herzlich Willkommen bei Titanium Gunwork - Titanium Gunworks

You can then ignore your rear sight and just go with the "brighter" foresight.

​Stan

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    any experience with ghost ring sights? Was just reading that they are supposed to be better for bad eyes than normal peep sights.
    I have tried them, works well for me, and I can't use normal iron sights at all, with or without my glasses.
    Just thinking about one of these for a CZ527 Item Information At NewEnglandCustomGun.com

Neil.

I have found that if I coat the back of my fore sight with black marking ink and
    like Smullery ignore the rear sight. Then I obtain good results.

Old Neilo

I was involved in ghost ring trials some years ago and while recognising the speed of sight picture acquisition, could not come to terms with the imprecision.

I think "it all depends" on what you want to achieve and the state of your individual eyesight.

I was going to suggest investing in a cheap set from Ebay - but they are not that cheap!

However, the essence of a ghost ring is the large rear aperture. Could you perhaps make something up from a piece of angle (Mecanno L bracket) and try a few dry passes to see if it might work for you?
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Quote Originally Posted by charadam View Post
    I was involved in ghost ring trials some years ago and while recognising the speed of sight picture acquisition, could not come to terms with the imprecision.

I think "it all depends" on what you want to achieve and the state of your individual eyesight.

I was going to suggest investing in a cheap set from Ebay - but they are not that cheap!

However, the essence of a ghost ring is the large rear aperture. Could you perhaps make something up from a piece of angle (Mecanno L bracket) and try a few dry passes to see if it might work for you?
    Was at the gun shop yesterday... This guy was only interested in selling me a doctor type sight for a bunch of bucks..... When he realized I wasn't buying the expensive stuff, he lost interest in helping...... Another customer said he had the same problem and showed me what he done to overcome... Just a triangle of florescent paint with the point on the sight groove and a dot on the frt sight bead. I'll try that before the other stuff..... I don't have a lot of faith in the ghost ring either, but need something...
    Thanks, Dave

Using an iris on your glassed is well worth a try - The idea was commonly used by match pistol shooters to help focus on the open sights. As in a camera lens, looking through a small hole will increase your depth of field and make the sight a lot crisper.
    It's easy to try and cost nothing. Just take a piece of self adhesive paper, something like a target patch or even a bit of plastic insulation tape, poke a nice round hole on it and stick it on your glasses. Experiment with different size holes - The results can be amazing.
    If it works you can buy the pukka thing like THIS