Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venison website domain

Venison website domain

In a moment of madness a couple of years ago i bought A couple of website domains relating to venison. Think "British Beef", apply our favourite meat and hey presto.

I was offered a few hundred quid for them recently by a game dealer but don't want to under sell them. Anyone got any experience in this area/idea what they are worth?

I own britishvenison.com and .co.uk.

ta

​W

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    A few hundred quid needs to have an extra zero on at least one of those hundreds, it costs good money to get set up on a website and with the trend moving towards 'natural food' etc. it is bound to benefit said gamedealer financially better than a few hundred quid. You could always take his few hundred offer but get him to give you a written guaranteed top price for ALL your deer and game that you take to him, that could pay dividends in the long run?

couple of hundred quid is a tad short for both i would say you could probably double that for one let alone two, as a rule for domain names you give the price and for such names i think you stand to make a nice tidy profit

more info here,

hope this helps, chris

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/selling-domain-names/

You could go for a fixed sum of a few hundred quid, but how about offering them, or their use for a small percentage of their sales via the site they set up? If they make nothing, then you've made nothing but may still have the domain names, if they make a fortune, you make a small fortune. Just a thought, don't know if it's viable or not.

Some wise words, thankyou all.

Can you imagine getting .001p per hit on the site soone be 1000ss

not wanting to burst your bubble but you will be surprised how little they are worth

I paid for a 4 digit .com domain names 15 years ago, it was one of the few 4 digit ones available and happened to be something that could be used for my business name at the time
    I paid $400. I have subsequently been offered $1500 for it
    I have about 20 of them....still waiting for that big offer!
    Almost bought mince.co.uk and mince.com as I couldn't believe they were available. It was spurred by a colloquial usage of mince as derogatory.

With the numerous domain suffixes that have come out people just get a slightly different one or use hyphens and similar notations.
    I personally wouldn't advocate anyone spending money on a specific domain name when the number of hits is down to your search engine optimisation and how your website/domain appears in the searches in google, bing etc.

a few hundred quid applied in the right direction will bring your business well up the pages in hits

Quote Originally Posted by willyroe View Post
    In a moment of madness a couple of years ago i bought A couple of website domains relating to venison. Think "British Beef", apply our favourite meat and hey presto.

I was offered a few hundred quid for them recently by a game dealer but don't want to under sell them. Anyone got any experience in this area/idea what they are worth?

I own britishvenison.com and .co.uk.

ta

​W
    Take the few hundred pounds I would say, as there are so many other (cheaper) options for the game dealer, such as:
    uk.com, org.uk, eu, co, biz. (all still available as of this morning).
    And than you get the variations such as: british-venison, english-venison etc. etc, most domains names are still available typically for 4p.a. to 35p.a.
    This is a good site to check the availability and price of domain names.
    Take the few hundred pounds before your game dealer wises up
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

venisondirect.com
    1235.00*

bestvenison.com
    1760.00*

venisonproducts.com
    800.00*

as taken from https://www.123-reg.co.uk/order/doma...x_enabled=true

it's a whole different ball game between owning the domain name and renting the domain name,
    the above companies have a habit of basing there monthly charge/annual charge for renting such a domain name on the basis of hits to the site and as a rule you generally wont find out till your site is sufficiently high on the rankings with such engines as Google etc its then the price gets hiked up to some silly numbers, it's this that the above companies rely on because as a company you don't want to start over again and build up a new site or change the domain name because this could damage your business. so as a result you end up paying above the odds for this service adding to that, the domain name is never actually yours, you just rent it

he could just buy UKVenison, or whatever, there are many variations that would work, like said above, if he offered 200, ask for 500, if he goes for it, great. royalty streams for a small butcher will be peanuts, not worth the cost of setting up the legal paperwork to facilitate it.

On the flipside I recall a local steak restaurant in new hampshire that had a good logo.. a guy came in many years ago and asked to buy it for a few hundred dollars. owner declined. guy came back a few days later, offer a couple grand..owner declined. guy came back a few days later and offered a few hundred thousand dollars...restauarant owner accepted!

on the side of his restaurant he had "just for the taste of it"..