Thread: Hog hunting (American hoggers)

Hog hunting (American hoggers)

Watched this today on sky on the Bio channel about hog hunting. It stars two men and two rather nice females, both packing side arms who chase hogs around with their hounds and then jump on them and hog tie their legs. Didn't see any killing of the hogs in this episode so can only presume they take them away to relocate or maybe just to a hog buyer for meat but they are on again on Friday morning at 4am and again at 10am.

​ELMER

I met an American lad who was enthusing about his upcoming hog hunting trip, whereby the hogs are driven through a small gap and then the hunter then tackles the hog armed with only a knife.

Over in Hawaii they use little mongrel dogs to track and bay the hogs then they send in a big ugly bull/ terrier mix to catch hold of the hogs face/ear to allow the hunter in to finish the job with a long knife.

Pig dogging is a popular means of feral hog control inUSA (especially the Southern states), NZ and Australia. The breeding of the dogs is almost an art form of itself. Hands-On Hunting: For The Record: Week 4 Ned Makim (author of that blog) does a lot of pig dogging. Should the Hunting Ban be repealled I would love to try this on UK wild boar.

However, i reckon there is more chance of getting a life time of free beer, than of the hunting ban being repealled. Pig dogging is the driving force behind my desire to emigrate to NZ.

Pig Dogging - I'm going to leave that one alone.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Quote Originally Posted by charadam View Post
    Pig Dogging - I'm going to leave that one alone.
    It may sound like something that happens round the back of Bodmin Asda car park at 1am Saturday mornings..........but seriously, I'd have a feckin go!

The more interesting version is carried out down in Texas. Just recently they have permitted helicopters for hogs, and they also permit full-auto weapons. Search that out on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by ELMER FUDD View Post
    Watched this today on sky on the Bio channel about hog hunting. It stars two men and two rather nice females, both packing side arms who chase hogs around with their hounds and then jump on them and hog tie their legs. Didn't see any killing of the hogs in this episode so can only presume they take them away to relocate or maybe just to a hog buyer for meat but they are on again on Friday morning at 4am and again at 10am.

​ELMER
    I have been watching this for about 2 years and have never seen them kill a pig yet.
    Cracking racks on them though!!!
    Cheers
    Adrian