Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .300H&H Magnum

.300H&H Magnum

Has anyone experience of the above calibre? Especially regarding accuracy and use on deer.

​Many thanks

Sorry not hands on but it was a favourite for 1000 yards shooting in the US for many years and it was designed for deer size game.

friend of a friend has one
    seems to like it

sits somewhere between 30-06 and 300WM in terms of ballistics.
    never understood questioning accuracy of a cartridge design though. pretty much all cartridge loaded appropriately in an accurate rifle will outshoot the shooter!
    any H&H brass can be tricky and expensive to source though depending on your location

reloading belted cases can be a faff.
    I am loading for a new belted cartridge myself so relatively new to belts
    I think it is just easier to headspace off the shoulder but in the 300H&H that isnt as straightforward as it sounds due to the very sloping shoulders
    Last edited by bewsher500; 25-10-2013 at 09:49.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    friend of a friend has one
    seems to like it

sits somewhere between 30-06 and 300WM in terms of ballistics.
    never understood questioning accuracy of a cartridge design though. pretty much all cartridge loaded appropriately in an accurate rifle will outshoot the shooter!
    any H&H brass can be tricky and expensive to source though depending on your location

reloading belted cases can be a faff.
    I am loading for a new belted cartridge myself so relatively new to belts
    I think it is just easier to headspace off the shoulder but in the 300H&H that isnt as straightforward as it sounds due to the very sharp shoulders
    Ahhh I believe you mean sloping shoulders. The H&H does not have sharp shoulders which is a feature of the AI and Improved type cartridges.

Whelen was a fan on the 300 H&H magnum for longer range heavier game. Ken Waters also was a big fan of the cartridge. A close friend of his had a rifle built by Holland & Holland for Waters and he chose the the 300 H&H cartridge for the chambering. His writings are still interesting and useful for older cartridges like this. Wolfe publishing does his articles in a book format.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Ahhh I believe you mean sloping shoulders. The H&H does not have sharp shoulders which is a feature of the AI and Improved type cartridges.
    yes, poor choice of words
    ​sloping

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    yes, poor choice of words
    ​sloping
    I have also seen it described as "droopy shouldered" . When designed many cartridges had gently sloping shoulders and tapered bodies. With British ones the long cases were to accommodate the strands of Cordite. I think that the thinking behind them was also they fed into the chamber from the magazine better than a sharper shoulder.

​ Something we now know to be false if the magazine feed lips are correctly set up.

Well i am looking to get a caliber thats bigger than my 6.5x55 as thats not man enough, would you recommend this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
    Well i am looking to get a caliber thats bigger than my 6.5x55 as thats not man enough, would you recommend this one?
    what are you shooting ? 6.5x55 is ok up to moose?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Big staggies, Norfolk Reds, i had one with a 6.5 that took 3 throught the heart/lung and was still standing.

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
    world of options before I would consider something which is relatively unique, very difficult to source and likely to limit your rifle choice by a factor of 10

25-06
    30-06
    7-08
    6.5-284
    7mm Mag
    300WM
    etc etc