Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What powder

What powder

Hi Folks,
    Bit of a dilema, I have got a load for .243 using 100gn hornaday btsp bullets, 41.5 gns of IMR-4350 and federal match primers. my rifle has a 20 inch barrel. when put over the Chrono they come out at 2749 fps. which is just under the legal limit for deer. If I increase the load by .5 of a gn the group opens form just over .5 of an inch to about 2 inches. i need to get approximately 40 fps extra to make it a deer legal load. My friend shots with a 22 inch barrel and the load is well within the legal limit for his rifle. Any suggestions or loads would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Jason

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    I use 36gr of H380 with a T3 Lite in .243 pushing out 100gr Horanday SPBT Interlocks. Good Groups of less than 1"

TJ

thanks Tartin any idea what that goes over the chrono.

I and several of my associates have used 36gn of H380 pushing the Hornady 100gn Interlock for several years now, probably before Chronos were on the open market or cheap enough for the average reloader to use.
    It is accurate and does the job very well, never had a Deer complain yet!!

I wouldn't give a hoot about 40fps, to what tolerance does that have to be achieved?
    or... on a hot day it would have 40fps more

edi

EJG i agree 40 fps is nothing an accurate load which this is should be more important. However it is still not a legal load.

Short of starting ther whole process over from scratch using a faster burning powder, there are a couple of things you could try.

1) Seat the bullet deeper. This can boost velocity a little and seldom inhibits accuracy.

2) Crimp the load lightly.

3) If you aren't FL resizing, do so. Reducing the case capacity even a little will help. (see #1)

4) Change Primers. Couldn't hurt.

When I was startig reloading .243 I picked up an article from Handloader Magazine (US) and one of the rifles they used was a Harrington and Richardson marketed SAKO with an 18" barrel. USing this rifle and a 100 grain bullet with 4350 the author found that MAX loads (provced by measurement, not guess) delivered 2900 fps using Hornady bullets. In that light, your goal should be obtainable.

I had a thought: Are your laws predicated upon "muzzle velocity"? And how far were the screens from the muzzle when you tested your load?? You would be surprised how much velocity you lose in the 1st fifteen ft of travel from the muzzle.~Muir

Stick a Magnum primer in the next load and see what difference that makes, it should help maybe enough to make the difference.

Thanks for the comments everyone much appreciated. Muir the muzzle velocity was recorded about 7ft from the muzzle, I will try different primer and other suggestions this weekend and get back to you. Really don't want to change powder as I have over half a tub left and as said very accurate load.
    Big thanks again for everyone that takes the time to answer in these forums, It's what brings people back all of the time.

Jason

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EMcC
    .....I and several of my associates have used 36gn of H380 pushing the Hornady 100gn Interlock for several years now......
    Hello EMcC, It was you funnly enough that got me into reloading, and you gave that figure to me as your load, I worked up to it, and it worked for me too!!

TJ