Thread: 8x42 or 10x42 binocular ?

8x42 or 10x42 binocular ?

Just wondering which binocular do you prefer as your “all-round” binocular....8x42 or 10x42 ?
    Last edited by Konnari; 25-10-2013 at 11:48.

Depends what you are doing. Woodland mostly then 8X, hill mostly then 10X. Neither makes that much difference, but if you have a variable power scope I set it same as my binoculars (I own both mags, cheap Minox in 10X and Zeiss in 8X).

If one or the other is available and a good price just buy it and stop worrying. Do note that at 10X mag they often fit larger objective lenses so the binoculars themselves are heavier.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

If I may add; I already have a nice pair of 8x32 Kahles and 10x52 Minox HG and I'm looking for something “all-round” in the middle !!

If you're set on 42mm objective I'd go with 8X

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

8x, the lower magn. is better as with higher magnification you also magnify any shaking! Same btw for scopes.
    And there will be a saving on the weight and size, not a bad thing when out stalking.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Swaro 8.5x42's .... excellent for all round and low light performance. I did type 'last light' but they're better than that..... perhaps I should have typed very low light.

'sme

Fizz

Regular Poster
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    Depends on the job.

An increase in magnification tends to lower the width of the field of view.

For me in dense woodland I prefer a bright low power e.g. 6.5x32, it gives a usefully wide field of view.

Open woodland in a highseat then 8x or 10x.

If using bins one-handed then 8x is the most I am comfortable with.

Using quad-sticks over wide-open clearfell at last light then 8x56 grasped in both hands.

And all matched to the scope.

8x42 seems the obvious choice for your binocular rack. S

I have acquired a pair of 10X42's Swarovski used but great condition new and very good price. I well understand the 8X vs. 10X issue, but am happy with what I have as I do both the longer range hill and the woodland. At the moment I am into the 10X as it more clearly discerns specific features- is it a pricket or not? for example. At closer ranges 100m or less, I like using my normal vision to detect something, then scan it. At longer ranges more scanning with binocs. Quite often long range scanning is done off some form of rest to steady the arms and reduce shaking. Everyone has their own nuanced method(s). Just buy good ones.