Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixing Eye Dominance Issues

Fixing Eye Dominance Issues

My son (6) is right-handed but left-eye dominant. This is causing havoc even just getting him to line up behind a rifle. He's still a little too young to be shooting yet, but I would really like to get his eye dominance sorted by the time he is old enough / ready. Are there any means or rectifying, or at least improving through training?

You can't 'correct' it ! He is what he is! You'd do well to accept it and to get him shooting left handed to begin with. It may only be a minor issue with a rifle and scope, but it is a much bigger issue if he moves onto shotguns. I am also right handed and left eye dominant but to established to change. However, if I could wind back the clock to when I also started shooting at aged 6, I would have chosen the left handed route.
    MS

With a rifle he should be closing his left eye and for shotgun get a optic fibre sight put one on the daughters shotgun shooting improved overnight.

regards

​martyn

Hi there
    if you just get him to shut the dominant eye whilst sighting the target he should be fine.
    I am cross eye dominant and have no problem. Shotgun shooting is a different ball game !
    If shotgun shooting he can either shut the dominant eye or wear shooting glasses with a foil over the centre of the dominant eye lense. Alternatively he could try the easyhit fibre optic bead which is supposed to correct cross eye dominance.
    Whilst he is still young you could train him to shoot off the left shoulder.
    Hope this helps.
    ​G.
    Last edited by Grant.N; 25-10-2013 at 12:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    You can't 'correct' it ! He is what he is! You'd do well to accept it and to get him shooting left handed to begin with. It may only be a minor issue with a rifle and scope, but it is a much bigger issue if he moves onto shotguns. I am also right handed and left eye dominant but to established to change. However, if I could wind back the clock to when I also started shooting at aged 6, I would have chosen the left handed route.
    MS
    I'm exactly the same and I think this is very good advice. Let him try shooting left handed and he will reap the benefits later when he starts shooting a shotgun. Only problem is the choice of left handed rifles but cross that bridge when you come to it. In due course get him on the BASC young shots scheme.

if he can train himself to close his left eye whilst keeping the right open, he can train himself to shoot right handed. my wife has the same issue, almost put her off shooting. I've since started training her to shoot left handed, and apart from the awkwardness, she's getting on with it well and couldn't believe how amazing it was to be able to "see what I'm shooting at" ! LOL..

are you sure your son is right handed? I understand a lot of left eye dominant people are inherently left handed, but were just wrongly taught to write right handed in school, etc...whereas, once they 'try' left handed, they become much more proficient!

so yes, either, serious eye training needed, or learn to shoot left handed!

Thanks gents, this is really helpful advice. He even struggles to shut his left eye, so I'm thinking that teaching him to shoot left-handed may be the only option. Perhaps I'll try him with an eye patch and if that doesn't work, then move to teaching him left-handed.

All sorts of options are available to deal with it but the biggest thing here is that your son is only 6 and you allow him to take the gun to the most natural shoulder. I really wouldn't worry about it as his eye dominance might well change over time to match his handedness. fit of the gun will important too as the dimensions of youngsters are not in the same proportion as adults and that is vitally important.

Quite useful articles about it here so I need not say more. http://www.positiveshooting.com/EyeDominanceMain.html
    http://www.positiveshooting.com/YoungShotsMain.html

Thanks Wingers, that's immensely helpful.

Im also right handed but left eye dominant and have no problem shooting rifle or shotgun.
    buy him a cheap microscope and get him to use it with his left eye whilst drawing what he sees with his right hand (both eyes open)
    when shooting a shotgun eye (hehe, see what I did then) close my left eye immediately prior to the shot and, on incoming birds, just pull through the tail, head, blot it out, pull the trigger.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks