.243 OTT for Muntjac?

tjm160

Would .243 (95g) be considered a little OTT for Muntjac and cause (comparatively) too much meat damage?

I have .17 HMR and .243 and slots for .22RF and .223. My second permission has Muntjac, Fox and Rabbit. To the best of my estimation, it seems there's not one ideal calibre for all. .223 would seem the best compromise, although clearly rather OTT for rabbits. Do many people actually use .223 for rabbit, for anything other than the odd opportune shot?

Would .243 (95g) be considered a little OTT for Muntjac and cause (comparatively) too much meat damage?

I have .17 HMR and .243 and slots for .22RF and .223. My second permission has Muntjac, Fox and Rabbit. To the best of my estimation, it seems there's not one ideal calibre for all. .223 would seem the best compromise, although clearly rather OTT for rabbits. Do many people actually use .223 for rabbit, for anything other than the odd opportune shot?

In short, no.

Muntjac are tough little buggers! For my first 15 years stalking I used a .308 firing 150gr Nosler BT's which caused minimal meat damage to muntjac, so long as I placed the bullet correctly. I can't say I've noticed any less meat damage with the .243 I use now.

willie_gunn

Agree with the above my 308 and 6.5 account for Munties each yr no problems .many guides won't allow .22 c/f for Munties or chinks anyhow .
​norma

Mmm, thanks gents and if still using .243, would stick with the 95g load rather than dropping to something smaller (e.g. 55-60g)?

Mmm, thanks gents and if still using .243, would stick with the 95g load rather than dropping to something smaller (e.g. 55-60g)?

Guy at the gun shop just told me that lighter bullets caused more damage.... True or false, I don't know... I am new to the center fire rifle thing other than the military...... Guys I hunt with are using 165-180 gr in 30.06 and .308 for roe and pigs.... one clown uses a 45/70 gov for the two.....

I think relatively heavy for calibre is never a bad thing (unless you have velocity regs to meet). So, shoot it with something your rifle likes and know performs well.

Enjoy your shooting!

Thanks daven, me too, at least the folks on this forum are mightily helpful fir filling in the gaps :)

They are perfect for Muntjac. Munties are VERY hard little animals that can take a big hit and still run a good distance! Your .223 or a lighter bullet in your .243 will also do the job, but may cause considerably more meat damage as they travel that much faster. I've shot Muntjac with a 180 grain Winchester silver tips out of a 30.06 which are suitable for Elk and Bears! I got far less meat damage than I would from a 100 grain BT out of my 25.06. Most muntjac are shot at close range due to their size, so a bigger slower bullet is the better option.
MS

Of the two I think the 17 hmr would be best , under a lamp ;) lol but seriously I use 7 mm 08 for all deer so 243 is fine

They are perfect for Muntjac. Munties are VERY hard little animals that can take a big hit and still run a good distance! Your .223 or a lighter bullet in your .243 will also do the job, but may cause considerably more meat damage as they travel that much faster. I've shot Muntjac with a 180 grain Winchester silver tips out of a 30.06 which are suitable for Elk and Bears! I got far less meat damage than I would from a 100 grain BT out of my 25.06. Most muntjac are shot at close range due to their size, so a bigger slower bullet is the better option.
MS

+1

Thanks gents, really appreciate the guidance. Very informative and helpful video 223, I'm much obliged :tiphat:

After this, really not sure I need anything else. The .17 and .243 seem to cover all bases, without the expense of extra rifles.

Thanks gents, really appreciate the guidance. Very informative and helpful video 223, I'm much obliged :tiphat:

After this, really not sure I need anything else. The .17 and .243 seem to cover all bases, without the expense of extra rifles.

I use 100gr Norma in my .243

Personally I would say 308 is more versatile than the 243. I have both, and the 243 is what I will be using this morning on roe and muntjac, but the 308 would do the same and allow for boar, red, sika, moose, etc. should the opportunity arise (not this morning sadly).

willie_gunn

Guy at the gun shop just told me that lighter bullets caused more damage.... True or false, I don't know... I am new to the center fire rifle thing other than the military...... Guys I hunt with are using 165-180 gr in 30.06 and .308 for roe and pigs.... one clown uses a 45/70 gov for the two.....

When it comes to advice given in the gunshop: caveat emptor! But if there's any sense to be drawn from this comment the 55/65gn bullets are likely to be ballistic tips intended for vermin in which case more mess is a strong possibility but not a certainty.

As for the notion of a big slow slug, your 45/70 Government shooter is less the clown than you might suppose. Plains buffalo shooter possibly, a bit recoil happy possibly, especially in black powder it's a fine if somewhat old fashioned round (but nobody tells that to the roe and pigs!).

My late father shot a lot of Muntjac...and I got the job of skinning/butchering them.

Initially he used 100grn Hornady or Sierra soft points and there wasn't usually much in the way of wastage through meat damage and bleeding through the muscle.... but when he switched to Hornady 100grn round nose the was a marked increase in wastage through shock damage - carnage is probably an appropriate word here.... ie a more 'shattered' effect on any muscle hit by the bullet and increased bleeding intra muscle. Having used 95grn Nosler Baltips these are about the same as the round nose.

Of course he may have switched to the round nose for the increased knock down power...... they are tough little buggers, especially when the adrenaline is up, so it's a bit of a compromise.

's me

Fizz
:cool:

Back