Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Caithness / Sutherland stag week with glen cadwallader

Caithness / Sutherland stag week with glen cadwallader

​2 weeks ago now me and a good friend of mine made our way up to Sutherland / Caithness for a week on the stags with glen cadwallader . A 692 mile trip from the bright and breezy hills of Sussex , it took 11 hours , not a bad run !

Im not much of a one for writing pages and pages of story's of my trip , so I'll share with you one stalk , my first ever highland red . Before that though let me tell you a bit about glens setup and ground . Coming from a farming background I though I knew my acreage pretty well , but the area of land up there is incredible , acre after acre of sweet **** all ! I'd never seen ground so beautiful , or so wet ! I had never imagined the amount of stags I'd see roaming , the amount of roaring I'd hear or the amount of bloody sheep everywhere ! And I've never been told quite so much ******** about hard Scottish weather ! In what was apparently a strangely mild rut ( no one had told the stags , who were still in full coat with huge manes of deep red ) there were times when all I needed was a t shirt ! So now I know how bad it really can be up there ! Ha ha !

Joking apart , I'd like to thank Glen , both the Alan's , and Stuart for a truly incredible week , I've made some unforgettable memories and learnt more than I ever thought I would Its definatley changed my view on stalking and the way i stalk . And I've got a new found respect for how hard you guys work . So thanks for having me , I hope to be back soon . And a special thanks to Alan Munro , who got me into position for grassing my first ever highland red , and then duly blooded me , which seemed to get my luck up for the rest of the week .

so here's the story of that stalk .

The day previous I had arrived and gone out with Stuart , we had watched a big stag on the open ground for a good few hours but he never presented a shot before light failed us . So the next day , after a long hard stalk in the forest first thing , I was keen to go back to the open ground for another crack at the big lad . On arrival me and Alan spotted the stag well out on the open ground , so decided to take cover up a byrn ( not sure on the spelling for that !) the wind was tricky but useable , so we took it slow and using the few low mounds as cover we gradually got closer to the beast . It was hard going , the ground there is very wet , with the odd bog thrown in and also what I can only describe as hard grass tussocks , good footwear is essential ! On our way across we bumped a young stag and for a moment it looked like all was lost as he ran straight for our big one , but luckily , with testosterone pumping the bigger stag roared , chased off the young one and returned to his hinds , When we got to the byrn we where about 250 yards from the stag and a group of 6-7 hinds and calves the only thing we could do to get closer was to crawl up one of the small mounds to get a shoot able position from the top . I've never had to crawl before while stalking , so it was great fun for me , it was what I'd come up for , a true Scottish stalk on open ground and by the time we made it to the top I was excited and grinning like a numpty ! We couldn't get any closer at risk of giving our position away so all that was left to do was wait , and let the stag seal his own fate ! After a long wait , the light was fading and I'll admit I was beginning to get disheartened ! Alan kept his calm and low and behold the stag came across the byrn and stood broadside in front of us ! The .308 broke the evening silence with a loud roar ! The stag falters but didn't fall , so with another shot ready , I recovered my eyesight ( muzzle flash from an unmoderated .308!) and put another into him . He fell into the byrn , stone dead . I was absolutely over the moon , just writing down the story get my heart going again . What an unforgettable stalk !

Here are some picture from the week , I had an amazing time , and will definatley be back again soon , the ground is fantastic , and full of deer . Glens setup is very professional and also very friendly , by the end of the week I felt like one of the team . But boy was I knackred ! So cheers guys , I hope to be back soon !

Well done on a good week, looks like you had a great time.

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

SD Regular
    Your title is wrong for this thread , the week that was advertised on sd was the week before . that was when 12 sd members had 5 days stalking . shot 4 stags and one buck .Paid for there own coffee at the welcome meeting and never had the privilage of meeting Mr Cadwallader . He was to busy to answer his phone . or even extract shot beasts . mine was left 16 hrs before extraction . Not what i would call a profesional outfit .
    BE PREPARED IT WASNT RAINING WHEN THEY BUILT THE ARC

Well done mate and a good write up. It's great when real stalkers can come to the highlands and enjoy there stalking and accept success or failure as it is. You will have those memories forever.

Shudadunityonksako :The title states Caithness/Sutherland stag week which is exactly where ACM was for the week. Your grumblings really do have nothing to do with this week.
    Last edited by provider; 26-10-2013 at 18:56.

Quote Originally Posted by provider View Post
    Well done mate and a good write up. It's great when real stalkers can come to the highlands and enjoy there stalking and accept success or failure as it is. You will have those memories forever.

Shudadunityonksako :The title states Caithness/Sutherland stag week which is exactly where ACM was for the week. Your grumblings really do have nothing to do with this week.
    Well, I was on the same trip as Shudadunityonksago, I accept failure, but didn't enjoy it!!
    I will have memories forever too!
    Shudadunityonksago has some valid points (about the previous week).
    The silence about the trip is deafening, so make your own mind up about what people thought about it!
    Kev.

Shouldofdunityonksago and Kev are referring to a week that was originally advertised as Caithness stag week, but it was changed to Caithness/Sutherland during the week.

​I was one of twelve who booked and went on this 12 blokes stalked twice a day on 12 beats, 2 beats were rested each day as there were two pairs. The rest were single unaccompanied of differing abilities and experience. I haven't done a write up as there isn't much to tell. I shot a cracking 8pointer on the Tuesday evening 127metres away that I heard roar on last knockings but there wasn't no stalk to it. I was too slow on the Tuesday morning when a Sika 6pointer crossed the ride with only 2 metres and 5 seconds to react. He was less than 80 metres away. The Friday afternoon I glassed three stags 6p and two spikers out in open ground 500 metres to cover. I stalked the stream bed out of sight but didn't go far enough and turned back due failing light. That's the best bits.

If everyone had stayed and stalked to Friday afternoon there would have been 120 stalks for a return of seven stags and a roebuck I think it was. Some of the guys didn't do Thursday afternoon or Friday as they chose to leave early. The main stalking was in Strathmore forest blocks, Caithness, but the Tuesday was in rims dale Sutherland, where Kev and I shot our stags. There was a cancellation on this ground and as there was the chance of Sika, Red and Roe made the 120 mile round trip.

The weather was crap. Hot 18c at its hottest and not much roaring. Other than what I've written above I only saw 1 roe doe, 1 roe buck in the woodland over the week. Outside of our boundaries on open ground around Strathmore saw 60+ reds groups of stags and small groups of hinds. On route to and from Rimsdale saw over 120 big hind groups and stags roaring real contrast between the two areas.

scenery was amazing and had great views. The organisation was great and safety procedures booking in and out.

I can't say much more that's pretty much how it was.

Acm however with the guidance of the Alan, Stuart and Glen you seem to have a decent week. The original twelve were not as lucky.
    Last edited by Steyer 6.5; 26-10-2013 at 19:43.

Well done Acm what a week to remember, like you say it was hard work and you were knackered but it paid off for you. .
    I dont think its very fair lads jumping on this thread of a lad who has taken the time to tell us about a week which he will never forget for some of you to start slagging the same place off, thats surely for another place if your not happy.
    Looks like this could be different ground as he says it was warm but stags everywhere, i dont know but you did very well Acm.

Quote Originally Posted by shudadunityonksago View Post
    Your title is wrong for this thread , the week that was advertised on sd was the week before . that was when 12 sd members had 5 days stalking . shot 4 stags and one buck .Paid for there own coffee at the welcome meeting and never had the privilage of meeting Mr Cadwallader . He was to busy to answer his phone . or even extract shot beasts . mine was left 16 hrs before extraction . Not what i would call a profesional outfit .
    My titles not wrong mate , that's where I was stalking , and that's who I was stalking with .
    From what I can gather you guys were unlucky with the weather , the ground you were on was my most productive bit for my week . Glens a busy guy , but very genuine , kind and honest . I wouldn't bother to answer my phone if people were moaning about not tripping over deer . It's hard going and you have to keep going all day every day . But please don't hijack my thread , provider - thankyou for the kind words and tikka thankyou too .

​Also why would you expect free coffee ?

well done Andy, good shooting Sir. Is that the stock pictured I did for you?

sounds like you had a great trip and made the most of it, which is what it's all about. I had a few trips on the stags this year. it was a very late rut and deafening silence in the hills until late Oct this year, so I'm not surprised others previous to your trip were disapointed, but they really should just realise that 'that' is what nature is about..there's no guarantees.

I thought I'd have a stag-less year (shock horror), until 3pm on the last day of the season when I managed to knock over a nice 10 pointer...saved the day! LOL.

well done again.

Peter

I was not involved with any of the weeks here but I can say that the rut was a bit of a non starter in many areas due to the weather. This has been indicated in a previous post stating that the stags hadn't broken out yet. (group of 60+ stags)
    I do know Glenn personally and I can say that he is honest and tries to help as as many people as possible.