Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 243 sorted with Winchester 55gr Super Tips

243 sorted with Winchester 55gr Super Tips

I finally found some ammunition that suits my 243. It appears that it likes the lighter stuff as opposed to the heavier stuff. The best group with 100gr rounds was an inch and a half. Today I managed a ragged hole with 4 shots using some 55gr rounds...I am very happy indeed.

The second group to the left is a three shot group from 9.3x62 using Privi Partizan.

some 243s don't like 100gr due to the twist of barrel,thats probably what your problem was,the 243s perform superb with a 70 to 80gr bullet weight.I think the 55s are too light for a 243 but if your happy that's all that matters

I haven't tested the barrel for the twist rate but 1.5 inches is a joke with 243 rounds......but you are probably correct. This is the first brand of ammo that has produced an amazing group, for me at least. I will try some 70 and 80 trainers as well as soon as I can source some!

Have some 55gn Nosler 'roo bullets, man they are superbly accurate!
    I must be one of the few that has never experienced problems with 100 grain bullets in a 243, I have two, both are 1:10 both are accurate.

Excellent shooting Conor, was the coin held in the hand when it was shot or tossed into the air.

The 9.3 is not too shabby either.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I should point out that the 9.3 has a very effect muzzle brake which tames it considerably! The coin is a Jetton/token that operates the target retrieval system.

Quote Originally Posted by Conor1 View Post
    I finally found some ammunition that suits my 243. It appears that it likes the lighter stuff as opposed to the heavier stuff. The best group with 100gr rounds was an inch and a half. Today I managed a ragged hole with 4 shots using some 55gr rounds...I am very happy indeed.

The second group to the left is a three shot group from 9.3x62 using Privi Partizan.
    I use the Winchester 55s and am extremely pleased with them.

Quote Originally Posted by howa243 View Post
    I use the Winchester 55s and am extremely pleased with them.
    They are insanely accurate and I have a confession to make. I did not find them...a friend suggested I try them as they worked in the same model gun for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Conor1 View Post
    They are insanely accurate and I have a confession to make. I did not find them...a friend suggested I try them as they worked in the same model gun for him.
    Been using them for years. Went to Garlands a few years back and to try them for the first time and there were a couple of guys down there with there new batch of home loads. The winchester rounds out of sako finnlight were every bit as accurate as anything they were using. Extremely accurate and you will not have a runner on fox.

I watched my friend put 5 of them through the same hole shooting his LRS2. I was determined to find a 100 grain that would group well. An inch and a half is not what I would consider acceptable. Will settle with these little fellows and use for vermin only.