Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lapua brass - marks on cases

New Lapua brass - marks on cases

I just had some new Lapua brass delivered in .223 and 6.5x55. All lovely and new and clean and shiny! However on closer inspection the colour of the brass on the neck area is different to the colour on the rest of the case. This is the same on all of the cases. Is this normal as an artefact of the manufacturing process for new brass? I have always used once fired cases from factory ammo in the past and never seen this. All thoughts and comments gratefully received. Cheers.

as far as i no all lapua brass is like that , well at least mine have been .

Hi Cambsman,
    The colour you can see on the necks of Lapua brass, is the annealing(softening) used to allow the brass to stretch, and resize several times without splitting. All brass cases are annealed at the case mouth, but only Lapua leaves the colour on.
    Lapua brass is considered to be very good brass. Marcher.

It's the annealing. It's fine
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Quote Originally Posted by cambsman View Post
    I just had some new Lapua brass delivered in .223 and 6.5x55. All lovely and new and clean and shiny! However on closer inspection the colour of the brass on the neck area is different to the colour on the rest of the case. This is the same on all of the cases. Is this normal as an artefact of the manufacturing process for new brass? I have always used once fired cases from factory ammo in the past and never seen this. All thoughts and comments gratefully received. Cheers.
    its the heat mark left by the annealing process,dont worry about it all Lapua brass shows it form new

Considered a sign of quality by some, at least you know the stuff is treated.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcher View Post
    Hi Cambsman,
    The colour you can see on the necks of Lapua brass, is the annealing(softening) used to allow the brass to stretch, and resize several times without splitting. All brass cases are annealed at the case mouth, but only Lapua leaves the colour on.
    Lapua brass is considered to be very good brass. Marcher.

This isn't exclusive to Lapua brass BTW.

All Prvi-Partizan (PPU & 'nny' headstamps) irrespective of calibre, 5.56 Nato RG L21A1, Israeli (IMI) issue, and some batches of Remington .223 have this feature. These are probably annealed too. It's difficult to polish out this finish, as metal is discoloured in annealing.

So ........ it's not necessarily a sign of quality. It does look distinctive, but that's all I'd say for it.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

any probs give us a ring but as already sated its the after effect of the annealing process - to soften the neck / shoulder area and not the case head
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Quote Originally Posted by bk View Post
    It's the annealing. It's fine
    BK, I agree both you, and your two fine friends!!!!

Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to make sure it was normal. Cheers.