Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fridge height for hanging roe

Fridge height for hanging roe

Hi, I'm trying to get a fridge/chiller sorted so that I have somewhere to hang deer which will probably be roe 99% of the time.

What height of fridge will I need for roe? Will a 5ft fridge be enough? Also will a normal domestic fridge be ok (I will only get 3-4 deer a year)? I have brought a conversion kit from bushwear which includes a couple vents but will a larder fridge with internal fan be better? Or rig up my own little fan?

Sorry for the barrage of questions but mainly I am after what room in terms of height I need to hang roe.

Thanks!

Ed

Any tall fridge either household or commercial will do you, I am a fridge engineer by trade and the one I use is an old coke fridge that is probably 20 years old but still does the job.
    You do not need one with a fan in it.
    If you find one and want to know if it is OK PM me and I will try to help.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    I have a single 6' ish high chiller sat at work that i got for myself, single door and in working condition,

i have no clue as to what height i needed i just purchased it from work and when i gave up stalking its sat there since doing nothing, i will have to check it out some time as its just going to waste.

i am sure that i was told when i got it to put some kind of stronger support bar in it to hold the weight ? but i never got to do it.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

I'm struggling to find a 6' one but there seems to be a lot of 5' fridges available, will this give enough room to hang a roe in?

There is plenty of room in a 5ft fridge to hang a Roe if you put the rail or hooks right at the top.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by sikadog View Post
    There is plenty of room in a 5ft fridge to hang a Roe if you put the rail or hooks right at the top.
    this is what i was told, if you place the support bar on the outside and the hooks in through the top and have it sealed etc.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    this is what i was told, if you place the support bar on the outside and the hooks in through the top and have it sealed etc.

bob.
    Saw one that was just a fridge with holes drilled in top for eye bolts. Long enough to go thru a piece of 1/2 inch plywood layed on top. Deer and pigs were hung by an S hook in the chin and the other end thru the eye bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog View Post
    Thanks sikadog, you have given me the precise answer which I have spent a couple of weeks trying to find. I have looked at other threads and even started my own but no one has yet said what the length of a roe carcass is or exactly what size fridge I could get away with.

I have brought a fridge kit from bushwear which has a bar which is inserted through both sides. Looks like I may have to rethink and put a hook through the top to gain extra room, even though a bar would be handy if I get out rabbiting or have a good day on the pheasants. Maybe have to wait till I get a roe and offer it up before quickly setting the fridge up.

Thanks for the info!

It's possible to build a frame out of wardrobe rail which fits inside the fridge and comes out if not needed.
    No holes need to be drilled so fridge stays as is.
    The top rail holds an S hook and is right against the fridge "ceiling" so makes full use of the available height.
    PM me if you'd like more details / picture.

Thanks private Fraser, if you've got a picture that would be great!