Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 wmr

.22 wmr

I bought 5000 of Eley .22 WMR in the 1980's and have just finished my last box. I contacted Eley to see if I could get some more but Eley say they have never produced a .22WMR but the box clearly says IMI Eley .22 Magnum .22 WMR and had 40gn copper washed hollow point bullets.
    I wanted to know if any one else had used Eley .22 WMR. I bought them from Don Gray Sports 7 High Street Chatham Kent UK but they have long closed down

SD Regular
    Is it in a purple coloured box? If you look at the base of the cartridge what is the letter stamped thereon? I think that there was Eley 22 Magnum but I also think that like the later Kynoch ammunition it may possibly have been made abroad and sold under the Eley label. There was also a time when following a problem at the factory that Gevelot shot gun cartridges were sold as Eley too.

IMI say it all Israeli Military Industries just retailed by Eley.

Aren't you confusing Imperial Metal Industries who were part of ICI (Imperial Chemical Industries) with Israeli Military Industries?

I used to belong to the ICI pistol club and we purchased our club ammo direct from Eley through the company at very favourable prices.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Bambi it wasn't possibly another make such as Aquilla made in Mexico using the Eley prime system?

I put this photograph on just to show the use of the Eleyprime system and that some Eley marketed ammo has been made elsewhere.

Last edited by 8x57; 28-10-2013 at 16:51.

I doubt very much if Israeli Military Industries ever made 22WMR ammunition

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by bambi308 View Post
    I bought 5000 of Eley .22 WMR in the 1980's and have just finished my last box. I contacted Eley to see if I could get some more but Eley say they have never produced a .22WMR but the box clearly says IMI Eley .22 Magnum .22 WMR and had 40gn copper washed hollow point bullets.
    I wanted to know if any one else had used Eley .22 WMR. I bought them from Don Gray Sports 7 High Street Chatham Kent UK but they have long closed down

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$T2eC16VHJHwFG1Kcgw4(BR-PYgG(-w~~60_12.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	34061

Just did a little search on the internet Bambi and they would appear to have been made in Australia by IMI (Imperial Metal Industries) which is the company that owned Eley at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    I doubt very much if Israeli Military Industries ever made 22WMR ammunition

Ian.
    I am not sure what the Israeli's made. I know they used quite a bit of .22 Rimfire as it's good for quiet crowd control. There was a ver good video on the web at one point showing this. Some arab was throwing rocks at the troops until he got a .22 Rimfire through the forearm. Made him drp the rock and run off .

Yea great policy wasn't it? More than a few protesters/rioters died as a result of hits from the .22 round from a 10/22. Even the Israelis had to admit in the end that a .22 couldn't really be described as a less than lethal weapon, who on earth thought that one up wanted their head read.

Can't say that I have ever seen any Israeli made .22 ammo but their Samson centrefire range wasn't bad, in fact pretty value for the money. I had some .222 cases that I must have reloaded about 20 times before they started to give out.