Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Mods "Diesel" ?

Can Mods "Diesel" ?

Ive seen a few comments on here advizing shooters to clean / dry out their mods with WD40 and similar , I was wondering if this could cause dieseling and blow a mod apart ? maybe the same could happen when oiling threads ?

Quote Originally Posted by Johno100 View Post
    Ive seen a few comments on here advizing shooters to clean / dry out their mods with WD40 and similar , I was wondering if this could cause dieseling and blow a mod apart ? maybe the same could happen when oiling threads ?
    Never heard of it happening. Some mod companies recommend the use of wd40 on this way.

Went on a marksmanship course and the guy teaching advised against it as it has the potential to do just that ! I would imagine the older the mod the greater the risk , if your going to spray them make sure they are well dried out after , prior to shooting through them again .

WD40 isn't oil or lubricant as such, it's a water displacing fluid.

I've seen a few mods (often T8's as people like to oil them well!) giving off puffs of smoke for a few shots... not enough to affect accuracy though, but the unmistakeable smell of burning oil

Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    WD40 isn't oil or lubricant as such, it's a water displacing fluid.
    And engines will also run on it ! so it will diesel under the right circumstances .

Oil in mod would never diesel when shooting (it's not physically possible).

Of course it can ignite in some other way, and in some pistol mods it's even recommended to add grease/oil/water ("wet suppression" where evaporation helps to achieve more suppression).

I use a similar item to WD40 called 'Phospro' and, when used too generously, it gives off a lovely blue puff of 'smoke' and it smells lovely.

I wonder if Castrol R would work ?? Hmmm that wonderful smell .
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler 1933

Wd40 will definitely diesel under pressure alright which I can testify to having sprayed it down my HW80's transfer port many a long year ago, when you fired the rifle it would clear out any axcess oil then would diesel violently on the following shot, I thought it was cool at the time but the vibration and recoil could be felt through the trigger don't think it damaged the rifle but couldn't have been good for it either.