Can Mods "Diesel" ?

Johno100

Ive seen a few comments on here advizing shooters to clean / dry out their mods with WD40 and similar , I was wondering if this could cause dieseling and blow a mod apart ? maybe the same could happen when oiling threads ?

Ive seen a few comments on here advizing shooters to clean / dry out their mods with WD40 and similar , I was wondering if this could cause dieseling and blow a mod apart ? maybe the same could happen when oiling threads ?

Never heard of it happening. Some mod companies recommend the use of wd40 on this way.

Went on a marksmanship course and the guy teaching advised against it as it has the potential to do just that ! I would imagine the older the mod the greater the risk , if your going to spray them make sure they are well dried out after , prior to shooting through them again .

I've seen a few mods (often T8's as people like to oil them well!) giving off puffs of smoke for a few shots... not enough to affect accuracy though, but the unmistakeable smell of burning oil

Oil in mod would never diesel when shooting (it's not physically possible).

Of course it can ignite in some other way, and in some pistol mods it's even recommended to add grease/oil/water ("wet suppression" where evaporation helps to achieve more suppression).

I use a similar item to WD40 called 'Phospro' and, when used too generously, it gives off a lovely blue puff of 'smoke' and it smells lovely.

Wd40 will definitely diesel under pressure alright which I can testify to having sprayed it down my HW80's transfer port many a long year ago, when you fired the rifle it would clear out any axcess oil then would diesel violently on the following shot, I thought it was cool at the time but the vibration and recoil could be felt through the trigger don't think it damaged the rifle but couldn't have been good for it either.

WD40 isn't oil or lubricant as such, it's a water displacing fluid.

Quite right however the propellant gas is normally butane or some other flamable gas. I have had instances when WD40 has been sprayed in the engine compartment near the air intake of diesel engines resulting in excessive reving of the engine. I am told that in extreme cases it is not possible to shut the engine down when this happens but cannot confirm this.

And engines will also run on it ! so it will diesel under the right circumstances .

I wasn't saying it won't/can't diesel up, just that's it's a water displacing fluid.
A Diesel engine will run on most things you throw at it. :)

I've seen oil in a mod ignited by a shot. It produced what I can best describe as an "after flash" - a bit of flame after the main blast. I'm not sure of the science behind it or whether it can be described as dieseling. It did not damage the mod.

cheers,

Bob

I an HW35 which had been modified with an ether injection unit , as you cocked the rifle it drew in ether vapour from a cylinder at the side .The cylinder was filled with wadding and you had to fill it with ether prior to use .Very heavy pellets had to be used as light ones were destroyed in the barrel. Very powerful but not very accurate is my memory of it .

we regularly subject Mods to the expanding gases from an explosion, its their natural enviroment,its what they are designed for, how much extra is some WD40 going to add to the mix? :D (obviously if you totally fill the damn thing with a liquid you will come across that old saying "you cannot compress a liquid!") but a little bit isn't going to cause a problem.

Powder doesn't explode, it burns. Also dieseling oil (or ignited in some other way) would burn, not explode.
An explosion is a rapid increase in volume and release of energy in an extreme manner, usually with the generation of high temperatures and the release of gases. Supersonic explosions created by high explosives are known as detonations and travel via supersonic shock waves. Subsonic explosions are created by low explosives through a slower burning process known as deflagration. :p

Wd40 will definitely diesel under pressure alright which I can testify to having sprayed it down my HW80's transfer port many a long year ago, when you fired the rifle it would clear out any axcess oil then would diesel violently on the following shot, I thought it was cool at the time but the vibration and recoil could be felt through the trigger don't think it damaged the rifle but couldn't have been good for it either.

Mate move on a post!

​666 you beast!

Back